Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of first shipping GeFarce

http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/clgeforce/

There ya go. What I find interesting is the Q3Test numbers. Ant's TurboGL article showed his P3-500/128megs/G400max getting 42.4fps in 1024x768@32bit, high everything. This GeForce review, done on a P3-450@558/128megs/GeForce gets 42.3fps. Hmmm, higher clocked CPU, performing exactly the same ... what was that about the G400's openGL sucking? =)

------------------
    P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead, Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM
    P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

This is Copyed from another thread so excuse the redundent info:

just saw this at hardware-one:
    A retail bought CL GeForce
    review

Read in another thread that the cards wouldn't work above 130MHZ, well...
    "Looks like 142/192 is the breakpoint for my card. Still, I decided to perform all subsequent benchmarks utilizing 140/190 as a safer bet to ensure stability. It works fine so far even after an hour’s worth of benchmarking Q3 and 3DMark 99 at various resolutions… "
    Overclocking success/failures

As for the pre-views that didn't see much (if any) difference between TNT2 Ultras and the GeForce, well...
    "I believe whatever frame-rates were achievable on my V770 at 16 bit is achievable with the GeForce at 32 bit"
    (alright so that's against a regular TNT overclocked to ultra speeds)

The cards and drivers still have some room for improvements. Is it the fastest card currently available? yes. Is it a decent card? probably. Am I running to replace my MAX? HELL NO!!!

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Comment

If it's the fastest card available how come my MAX Q3 scores beat it on a slower system

Comment

Don't you remember the headline big M used for introducing the G400 MAX ???

Speed King

------------------
        Cheerio,
        Maggi
        Millenium G400 32MB DH
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Must be some of those NEW drivers us mere mortals don't have access to yet

Just giving some credit, where I think it's due

On 2 systems with similar specs-
          same MoBo
          same CPU (same speed)
          same amount of memory (128MB CAS2 Crucial vs Corsair)
          different sound cards (same company. w/Sound off- to keep things even)
          One with TNT2 Ultra (Hercules not OC'ed) other with G400MAX (not OC'ed)
          I have seen the TNT2 system win most benchmarks and give better frame rates
          So I have to conclude the GeForce (if faster then a TNT2 ) should be faster

Sure we can find specific conditions, configurations, and tests to prove any competitive cards are better. But, by and large I have found the MAX not the FASTEST game card.

Doesn't mean I don't think its the BEST

I've used an original Mill; and owned (bought with my own hard earned cash) a MILL2 (W/RR), M3D (d'oh), G200 (one of the very early ones), and since July a G400MAX. I'm waiting to give MATROX some more money, as soon as I can order a RT2000, to do editing. So I'm hardly here (as some are) saying how bad Matrox are and everyone should come over to NVidia. Not by a long shot. But, I won't wave the BIGM banner and say all other cards suck, by virtue of not coming from Matrox.

I'll be glad to accept this forums scorn, if that's what people need to feel better
          about their choices. I'm rather happy with mine, Thank You very much. I have no intention of getting a GeForce, there isn't any compelling reason to me. But, until I see otherwise, I'll believe it's going to be FASTER than a G400. But again, not necessarily BETTER.

OK...OK..I'm stepping down off the soap box

Oh, BTW were was this forums home before GA-SOURCE; anyone remember that far back ;0

Mark F.

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 10-05-1999).]
          Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
          X