X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another AACS crack.....

....and reports are it cannot be bypassed;

Register story....

The latest crack, once again formulated by the denizens of the Doom9 forums, is said to be immune to key revocation. The hardware hack involves tampering with the HD DVD add-on drive of an Xbox 360 to capture the "Volume Unique Keys", Ars Technica reports.

The key can be extracted after de-soldering the HD DVD drive's firmware chip, reading its contents, and then reconnecting it. The approach bypasses the encryption performed by the Device Keys, so revoking these keys as applied by the WinDVD update. Although the latest approach involves voided warranties and potential solder burns, Ars Technica adds that the ruse takes hackers one step closer to using software to achieve the same ends.

The attack caps a miserable week for the Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator (AACS LA), the custodian of the AACS encryption. The organisation has been busy sending out legal nastygrams to websites that published a 32-digit hexadecimal number that represented one of the keys for cracking AACS involved in last month's attack. Predictably the move chiefly served to publicise the infamous number.

Now AACS LA has got an even more serious chink in the armour of AACS to contend with.
    Ars Technikca Link.....

New AACS cracks cannot be revoked, says hacker

Only a few days after Corel issued a WinDVD update to close the hole opened by AACS hackers, the folks at the Doom9 forums sent word that they have found yet another way around the copy protection for high definition discs. This time, the method involved the Xbox 360's HD DVD add-on drive to capture the "Volume Unique Keys" as they were being read by the drive itself. Rather than just point out the crack, we're going to take a closer look at how this crack was accomplished, because one of the hackers involved in the crack says that it's more or less unstoppable.

The latest attack vector bypasses the encryption performed by the Device Keys—the same keys that were revoked by the WinDVD update—and the so-called "Host Private Key," which as yet has not been found. This was accomplished by de-soldering the HD DVD drive's firmware chip, reading its contents, and then patching it. Once that was done, the firmware was soldered back onto the drive.

Despite the technical difficulty of performing this hack, it does offer some advantages in the race to beat AACS copy protection. "They cannot revoke this hack," said forum member arnezami, who has been at the center of much of the AACS cracking recently. "No matter how many Private Host Keys they revoke we will still be able to get Volume IDs using patched xbox 360 HD DVD drives."

In addition to being irrevocable, the hack has the potential to make future decryption even easier. "This hack/technique enables us to figure out how the Volume ID is stored on the disc," arnezami explained. "It's very possible we would figure out [...] how the KCD is stored on the disc. Knowing that and being able to teach a PC drive how to read a KCD will open the door for what I called third-generation decryption."

While this type of decryption (reading keys directly off a PC drive by sidestepping part of the encryption process) is still not a reality, it may not be too far off. The main issue is the cost of purchasing standalone high-def players by the hackers, but as prices for these come down, this problem will slowly go away.

Although AACS has proven much more difficult to fully crack than the copy protection on regular DVDs, it is unlikely to remain only partially cracked for very long. The real problem with trying to create an "uncrackable" copy protection is that the media must come with the keys used to decrypt it somewhere on the device and the media itself. Hiding these keys in different places—security by obscurity—merely delays the inevitable. Of course, for the content providers, any delay is still better than no delay at all, so expect the battles between copy protection and hackers to continue.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 May 2007, 00:20.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Err lets give up the idea and say the person who's buying the dvd etc is legit.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Latest AACS revision defeated a week before release..

Despite the best efforts of the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) Licensing Administration (AACS LA), content pirates remain one step ahead. A new volume key used by high-def films scheduled for release next week has already been cracked.
      paulw

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
        Err lets give up the idea and say the person who's buying the dvd etc is legit.
        No - lets rather waste (and continue to) a shit-load of time on useless rubbish rather than actually producing a more secure OS with better QA needing fewer patches as afterthoughts.
        Lawrence

Comment

This kind of reminds me about the old joke about engineers...

The Joke goes like this...

Mechanical Engineers build weapons.
          Civil Engineers build targets.

The whole premise of AACS is a joke because it is essentially a static target.

The AACS keys themselves are essentially the only "unknown" about the whole affair. If you know how the system works, you can find a way to circumvent or bypass it. The Germans found out the hard way when the Enigma and the Lorenz were cracked.

Once you understand the system, it is usually only a matter of time before it can be compromised. AACS was designed to be "expandable and adaptable"; too bad someone found a way around it using a method completely out of the frame of reference of the designers.

It also serves them right: The concept of DRM hearkens back to the effect of the Printing Press on Scribes. We all know how that turned out, don't we? The only thing different now is that we have a couple of stupid laws on the books which make it illegal for free-thinkers to think.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
            The only thing different now is that we have a couple of stupid laws on the books which make it illegal for free-thinkers to think.
            Oh back then they didn't need laws, they just hung you for heresy.

I think they should keep doing it because the news stories of the cracks makes me laugh every time. They say laughter is good for my health.

Off topic, but the peeps at Doom9 sound like hackers because all that shows up in the news are the cracks. I used to go there all the time when I was doing video editing and exploring xvid. One of the most helpful forums out there, even to newbies.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
            X