Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdd recorder with pc transfer

Hello,

I'm looking for an easy way to record tv programs to a hard disk. It should allow scheduling and an easy transfer to a usb hard disk or laptop.

The usage is to record, transfer, watch elsewhere (recording device would be stationary).

I an considering an Archos (604 or 704) with dvr dock. Any comments? Alternatives? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Any mac with Elgato EyeTV 2 and USB TV stick. Wakes up the mac, records, puts it to sleep again. The Mac Mini is virtually noiseless.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Nice thought... but I'm not really that mac-experienced.

However, even a Windows based htpc would be within a similar price range.

Any suggestions for good htpc mainboards?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Mac Mini with Windows. The Mac Mini is an amazingly quiet and economic computer, and yet fast. But OSX is almost as easy as it is made out to be. You'll have no problem.

Comment

Not to badmouth the Mac mini, but I like the hardware freedom...
          (e.g. I would not add a dvd drive but move my current drive)
          Jörg
          pixar

Comment

You couldn't assemble a machine as quiet and powerful and economic (not to mention small) as the mac mini yourself, and to my knowledge, no one else does. Nobody's stopping you from running your DVD in an external box.

Comment

mCubed and Zalman have cases that only use heatsinks....

But still thinking about that mac though... what format are recorded files? (and are they easily played back on Windows?)
              Oh, and does it support 720p, 1080i or even 1080p?
              (I find no information on hdcp over the DVI connector of the mac mini)

Jörg
              Last edited by VJ; 7 May 2007, 08:41.
              pixar

Comment

AFAIK, the mac mini has no HDCP out. I don't need HDTV anyway, so I haven't thought about that.

My EyeTV USB stick records the direct DVB-T stream, which is MPEG. The files are some proprietary container, but are easily "exported" to err... I'll have to look, I think it's .mpg, but it might be .mov from within EyeTV with maybe five mouse clicks, taking no longer than copying the file (so 1-4 GB for a movie).

The on-screen menu for EyeTV is superb, it is completely usable with the remote. Cutting ads out etc. takes me about five minutes per movie (with the mouse). Apple Front Row can play back "exported" files without a problem. Sasq can point you to two codecs you will need to be able to play back anything (DivX with AC3 mp3 is not a problem) with Front Row (which is a front-end for quicktime, itunes and I think iphoto to be used in fullscreen with the remote).

If you want, I can record some short snippet with eyeTV and send it to you.

Hey, I could make a short movie of me using eyeTV and/or front row with my digicam and post that too, if you're really interested. I think there are movies about that stuff on youtube, BTW.

My Macbook is a perfectly usable HTPC in my book (though the DVD drive is too loud; maybe there's a way to change that, I haven't looked since I have all my media on HD). The Squeezebox was the better music player, though (more navigation options for geeks; no need for external display), but Front Row is quite OK and easy to use for anybody who can use a CD player.

I really like the movie trailers option in Front Row.

Comment

Working...
                X