Sense of Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sense of Smell

For years I've never had a good sense of smell. For some reason in the last six months or so it's started working. It's fine when theres pleasant smells around but not when when theres bad ones around.
    Any reason why it's suddenly started working??
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

did you just stop smoking?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Finally getting rid of that chronic sinus infection.

or Brain Tumor
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

You must be pregnant!

Congrats!

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

There are tons of things that can cause loss of smell, you probably did just get over or get rid of something - infection, any head trauma?, could have been a benign tumor like cjolley mentioned, virus, etc

But having good sense of smell now isn't a bad sign as far as I know
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
            You must be pregnant!

Congrats!

LOL
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

No chance of little pits I'm male and no I've haven't got over anything. My sense of smell has always been very poor. It's just started workjing after 40 odd years.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The lack of sense of smell = anosmia

Anosmia resource site

Wikipedia page

Causes

A temporary loss of smell can be caused by a stuffy nose or infection. In contrast, a permanent loss of smell may be caused by death of olfactory receptor neurons in the nose, or by brain injury in which there is damage to the olfactory nerve or damage to brain areas that process smell (see olfactory system). The lack of the sense of smell at birth, usually due to genetic factors, is referred as congenital anosmia. Anosmia may very occasionally be an early sign of degenerative brain diseases such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. Another specific cause of permanent loss could be from damage to olfactory receptor neurons due to use of certain types of nasal spray, i.e. those that cause vasoconstriction of the nasal microcirculation. To avoid such damage and subsequent risk of loss of smell from vasoconstricting nasal sprays, they should be used for only a short amount of time and only when absolutely necessary. Non-vasoconstricting sprays, such as those used to treat allergy related congestion are safe to use for extended periods of time.

* Upper respiratory tract infection (e.g., sinusitis or the common cold)
                * Nasal polyps
                * Smoking
                * Head trauma
                * Dementia with Lewy bodies
                * Parkinson's Disease
                * Alzheimer's Disease
                * Toxins (especially acrylates, methacrylates and cadmium)
                * Old age
                * Kallmann syndrome
                * Laryngectomy with permanent tracheostomy
                * Esthesioneuroblastoma is an exceedingly rare cancerous tumor that originates in or near the olfactory nerve. Symptoms are anosmia (loss of sense of smell) often accompanied by chronic sinusitis.

Anosmia can also be caused by nasal polyps. These polyps are found in people with allergies, histories on sinusitis & family history.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                  ...odd years.
                  I don't doubt that a bit.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                  X