Infrant bought out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrant bought out...

...by Netgear. Not sure how to take this. I had been thinking about adding a small NAS to my house buy now ...

Hot on the heels of yet another big time acquisition between Philips and DLO comes news that Netgear will be snapping up the privately-held Infrant Technologies for a cool $60 million in cash. All 34 employees will soon be wearing Netgear badges, and Infrant's CEO will move over and become Netgear's Vice President and General Manager for storage products. Essentially, Netgear is hoping that this move will strengthen the firm's presence in the enterprise and small-business storage realm, as it can now offer up a trusted name in RAID-based NAS products for SMB, SOHO, and the home. More specifically, the ReadyNAS, RAIDiator, and X-RAID portfolios were the targets of Netgear's desire, and while details on branding and the timeframe for the merge weren't noted, it sounds like Netgear's ready to get this party started on the double.[Thanks, Matt]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I read this news this morning and cried I hate netgear. I hate their support, products, everything. This is a sad day for Infrant NAS owners, like me. At least the product is solid enough to stand on it's own. The software is extremely stable and I hardly run into problems. Definitely one of the better pieces of equipment I've owned in a long time.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Trying to look on the bright side this could mean lower costs and higher availability, which is a problem in the UK. If Netgear have any sense, which is unlikely, they'll leave the product well alone
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Let's hope NetGear uses it as a chance to improve...

As Taz said, availability could improve...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

That Drobo is beginning to look awefully tempting. If only it had a NIC or eSATA.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            That Drobo is beginning to look awefully tempting. If only it had a NIC or eSATA.
            Slow, proprietary and no NIC. Scary combo if you ask me. The Infrant Netgear NAS is still the best solution on the block.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
            X