Coyotes moving to cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyotes moving to cities

For those outside North America a coyote is also known as the "prairie wolf" and is a close relative of the larger grey wolf.

In these parts they can weigh up to 60 lbs and, unfortunately, are losing their fear of people and are breeding like crazy. This is leading to a problem because they're moving into cities and attacking pets & people all over N. America. A few months ago several were seen in downtown Detroit, one on the grounds of the Renaissance Center.

20 years ago we quit paying bounties on coyotes, though they remained on the varmint hunting list. This plus no natural predation plus lots of game has resulted in the population explosion. Maybe time for it to come back

Last night I chased 3 out of our back yard.

Link....

Coyotes stalking our streets

Fears grow as more pop up in neighborhoods

Once a rural nuisance, coyotes increasingly are opting for city life in Michigan, roaming railroad tracks in Dearborn, devouring pets in Grosse Pointe Farms and sounding alarms among Lansing lawmakers.

Mirroring a nationwide trend, the collie-sized omnivores have learned that food and shelter are plentiful in the suburbs, sparking fears that coyotes are losing fear of their No. 1 threat: people.

"Even though we say in Michigan that we don't know of anyone who's ever been attacked by a coyote, it's only a matter of time," said Tim Payne, the state Department of Natural Resources wildlife biology supervisor in southeastern Michigan.

State officials, who don't track coyote populations, disagree on just how significant a threat the animals pose. But a rash of incidents in the past few months -- including a coyote caught skulking near the Renaissance Center in Detroit -- has lawmakers considering changing hunting rules to thin their ranks.

They'd have no objections from Fred and Doreen Gregory, who spent $800 in saving the life of their miniature poodle, Rudy, who was attacked in March in the couple's two-acre Westland [<1 mile from us] backyard. The attacks followed the killing of a poodle and cat in January in Grosse Pointe Farms.

Fred Gregory said he's counted seven coyotes communicating at night with the high-pitched yelps and howls made famous by cowboy movies. The retired builder echoed the assessment of professionals who fear the threat is getting worse.

"Their numbers are exploding and people around here probably think they are just loose dogs," he said. "This is only the beginning of the problem. They are multiplying like rats, but these are a lot bigger and meaner."
    >
    In New Jersey, a coyote bit a nearly 2-year-old boy in his backyard in April.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 May 2007, 19:23.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

In addition to which, coyotes are beginning to interbreed with the few remaining wolf populations, resulting in larger, stronger, "Uber-coyotes."

Kevin

Comment

Great

Around here it's getting to where you don't want to let small kids outside, regardless of age, and our animal control people aren't equipped to handle it.

Too densely populated for the rifles.

Too many squirrels, rabbits, coons & possums to think they'll go away.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've yet to encounter a coyote here in Oklahoma, which I find somewhat odd. There's plenty of bobcats and foxes to go around, both of which I've seen quite a lot of.

Of course we have a lab-mix that thinks he's grizzly
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I'm told that while I was out chasing coyotes Spike (110 lb rottweiler/ridgeback mix) was trying to tunnel through the exterior wall & brick siding
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Easy solution. Release tigers into the city, they will kill all the coyotes, then when winter comes around the tigers just die off.

Or just tell all the gangs in Detroit that coyotes are fair game and they won't be charged for shooting at them.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Easy solution. Release tigers into the city, they will kill all the coyotes, then when winter comes around the tigers just die off.
              Unless they're Siberian Tigers.

Kevin

Comment

Then just only release tigers of one sex.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Ah, but then they interbreed with domestic cats, resulting in larger, stronger, "Uber-kitties."

Kevin

Comment

Don't you already have those in Maine?
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The gangs in Detroit would keep tigers for pets

Also; our baseball team is the Tigers.

Maine probably has what we have; bobcats, lynx and a few mountain lions sharing space with black & brown bears, coyotes and a few wolf packs.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 May 2007, 00:30.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

@ Brian:
                        If you're referring to the Maine Coon, you're spot-on. My bro-in-law John had a Maine Coon named Axel that was the biggest, heaviest, most intelligent cat I ever encountered. When Axel finally died and John had it cremated, the ashes filled a 12-oz tumbler.

Kevin

Comment

Blackie = my dads Maine Coon, almost 30 lbs and thought he was a Doberman.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X