DX 10 on XP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DX 10 on XP!

DirectX 10 Backported to XP by Software Developer?

Cody Brocious, a 19 year old software developer who specializes in compiler and inter-OS compatibility projects has released a preview of a set of DirectX 10 compatibility libraries for Windows XP. While the project is still in its infancy, it is sure to raise a number of questions as to whether Microsoft could have provided DirectX 10 support for older operating systems should the project turn out to be successful.

As Cody notes:

I'm proud to release a preview of our DirectX 10 compatibility libraries. These libraries allow the use of DirectX 10 games on platforms other than Microsoft Vista, and increase hardware compatibility even on Vista, by compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn't capable of running it. No longer will you have to upgrade your OS and video card(s) to play the latest games.

The current preview allows you to run a number of examples from the DirectX SDK on Windows XP. They're not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we want to whet your appetite. We hope to release builds in the coming months progressing from demos to fully functional games. We also plan to post on this blog from time to time with screenshots and videos of what's to come.
    Link
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Cody Brocious said...

@ Kizul:

We've only tested on Windows XP SP2, but there should be nothing stopping you from using this on older versions of Windows. To customize settings for DX10, we're building a configuration application that lets you choose what features you want enabled, and that will do compatibility checking as well. Stay tuned to this blog for future prereleases!
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

...it is sure to raise a number of questions as to whether Microsoft could have provided DirectX 10 support for older operating systems...
      Is that a trick question?
      Of course they could.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

And this all pointless if the games check for the OS or actually require some other DLLs from Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
          And this all pointless if the games check for the OS or actually require some other DLLs from Vista.

I'm sure this can be bypassed relatively easy...

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
            I wish they'd just give us a "Yes I know its not supported OS and that you wont be responsible but I still want to install" button
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn't capable of running it.
              I'd love to see framerate comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg View Post
                I'd love to see framerate comparisons.
                if they run it on the cpu they'll suck!

And If they somehow would manage to get it to the gpu it might be usable

Comment

ATI's stream processing in the onboard GPU's pixel shaders?
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by NetSnake View Post
                    I'm sure this can be bypassed relatively easy...
                    Sure sounds and awful lot like should.

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                    I wish they'd just give us a "Yes I know its not supported OS and that you wont be responsible but I still want to install" button

That would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X