Erik's letter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erik's letter....

Our little one's parents received a letter today inviting him to attend an advanced technology academy run by Lake Superior State University, Ford and the University of Detroit Mercy. No cost involved, K-12.

Besides being a private academy environment they offer minuscule class sizes, high tech focus even in elementary and in upper grades Cisco networking classes, college credits and some high school classes can be taken online. Campus is in Dearborn near the Ford HQ complex, about 10 miles from us.

Might have something to do with him scoring >100th percentile on his state & other achievement tests; his grades had to be estimated

GPA: 4.0
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 April 2007, 14:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Congrats. But be careful with a child as special as him; he's smart, but don't define him by that alone (I'm sure you don't).
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Congrats
      What grade is he in?
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
        Congrats. But be careful with a child as special as him; he's smart, but don't define him by that alone (I'm sure you don't).
        We don't, and his citizenship grades are as high as his academics.

He tutors autistic/Asperger's kids in his and other buildings (school transports selected kids for "specials" days) as well as his classmates that are behind. Teachers have "fought" over getting him in their classes since 1st grade.

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
        What grade is he in?
        He's in 3rd grade but doing 4th/5th grade work. He finished the 3rd grade math qualifier series in November so they gave him the 4th grade tests, which he finished around Easter...all with little if any studying. On to 5th and he's already passed 2 of 4

The only problem is that he does math in his head & they have to remind him to show his work. He also solves complex problems non-linearly, so even once they see his work he has to teach them the logic train. He recently found one of my early algebra books, so God knows what's next

Other classes are likewise. Reading/comprehension is 300+ words/minute, which is adult level. He reads something, asks a question or two and that's it. Question him in a week or three and it comes back out.

What drives Margie nuts is that learning comes with almost zero effort for him, more so because she's a teacher.

Conferences are entertaining.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 April 2007, 14:28.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Don't let him develop bad habits even if it's fun to see his seemingly easy advancement .

Eventually the problems will become hard no matter how intelligent he is.
          Good habits will help him then.

PS I know you know this, just a bit of friendly nagging
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I know, but we've been through this before
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 April 2007, 14:56.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X