Care in the Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care in the Community

Care in the community is a good idea if the patient and the family is given the back up and the resources to provide adaquant health care. If the patient is in hospital the wards are often under staffed and lack the resources to provide

the special care needed. My own Father for example was left lying in his own excrement as for how long don't know but then the Number of nurses was about 3 for a two wards of 30 - 40 elderly very ill patients.
    Margerat Thatcher in her desruction of the NHS came up with the idea of care in the community. Patients who wanted to be at home and could be treated at home would be discharged. The plan had one big flaw in it and that was that no one

would monitor the care. In theory it should be social services but there staffed by incompatent do goodies and no doubt the few good workers get so over worked they leave in frustration and depression.
    A good example of this was a former neighbour of mine who had a mental disorder. If he was well he'd let people in if he wasn't he wouldn't which is the sign that he needs help. Of course social workers would walk off at this point and

wouldn't be even concerned if they haven't seen him for weeks. End result we end getting the Doctors in. Finally vandels smashed his house up and due to his illness he never repaired it. After not seeing him several weeks we rang the

social services only for the phone to be lifted off the reciever and left on the desk while they partied. Ringing the police got the response nothing we can do so once again we called the Doctors. The Doctor listened phoned the POlice

and arranged a break in. My neighbour was dying from exposure having being trapped in his room without heating food and water with rain coming in through the broken window.
    Despite clearly showing he couldn't look after himself and medical history showing he suffered from Schizophrenia they were going to discharge him. As fate would have it he became very aggressive and had to restrained and the penny

finally dropped. He was rehoused in "secure" mental health hospital which he prompty walked out of by following someone through the doors. Later they rang me saying "have you seen him as we've lost him" He finally turned up sitting in

his fallen down broken garden shed. We called the Hospital and he was taken away. A few years later he died but the care he got when he needed it wasn't there from the authorities.
    As some of you aware my Mother developed Alziehmers disease again this started a long battle two years worth or slightly more of getting the case reconised. The first battle was with the doctors and using extreme self control. Losing

your temper would only get myself and probably My Mother struck of the list. Living at home I could clearly see there was a problem. Rubbish in compost bin items be stored in silly places extra plus forgetfulness. However Mother did very

well at the tests so the results didn't very much. One of the other signs of Alzeihmers is depression and this is what probably swayed the Doctors minds and finally got a referral.
    During this time I was trying to contact churches and charities she had worked for for some help. Every door was closed theres nothing they can do go away. It shows that Charities and Churches in a poor light anyway to my mind.
    Making very little progress I just hoped that the day the nurse came mother would be on a down. She wasn't particulary bad and sailed through the tests however the nurse stuck around long enough to see the conversation disintergrate from

the rational and from that she referred us to the memory clinic.
    The memory clinic confirmed our worst fears however since then we haven't made much progress. Okay we've got one benifit a disabilty sticker for the car and a discount for the council task. Apart from medication theres been very little

help for my Mother. No clubs to go to and nothing really help to stimulate her mind. She can't walk very far and if she wanted to go to a day centre since I work full time they would have to picker up. This doesn't happen.
    Theres been no help for myself as a carer. The courses that could run can't be run as theres no money. There is a volentary Dementia cafe in town but again I'm working so I can't take her very often.
    Six MOnths ago she was referred to the Social services. I've been chasing this ever since. I've had one phone call from them promising to contact me this week so they can arrange a visit. I've heard nothing. I rang today four times no answer then I couldn't ring as I was on the University Helpdesk.
    In theory I'm supposed to get respite every six weeks. The chances of that are zero and it depends on My Mothers Sister and she takes my Mother away for a week once every six months.
    Luckily my workplace and friends are great and understand whats happening. If I worked anywhere else than the University I'd be sacked by now. My friends understand I can't go drinking at weekends or if I do only for a short period before I have to go home and hand out the tablets.
    Care in the community is a con. It's a way a none caring Government and Social services can save money. Carers don't get much in the way of help as the Government knows they can't walk away from their relatives. Governments can come and go but they all sing the same tune. At present time illness may not be effecting your family and I hope it never does. If it happens don't expect much help. If you live with your parents or parent my advise is get out quick otherwise you may find your life very limited mentally tiring and at times a long journey.
    Sorry for the rant folks but I'm a little pissed off.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page
Working...
X