SIS 745 Chipset question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIS 745 Chipset question

I have my old PC still up and running as a server with Windows Server 2000 on it. I got on to the Windows Home Server Beta and I was thinking about putting in a 320GB IDE hard drive so I don't have to lose my RAID setup which has all my important info on it. But I'm wondering if the SIS 745 can support hard drives that large or not...
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

It depends more on the BIOS build than the chipset. I'd visit the manufacturers site and read the release notes for its BIOS's to see the last time its drive support was updated.

Hint: even if the m/b BIOS doesn't support big drives the newer PCI drive controller cards can because they have their own BIOS, and most of them can be booted from. The system usually sees them as an SCSI device.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 April 2007, 19:32.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Hint: even if the m/b BIOS doesn't support big drives the newer PCI drive controller cards can because they have their own BIOS, and most of them can be booted from. The system usually sees them as an SCSI device.
      Get an old 386 and slap on a SATA PCI card with 2 1tb drives as a file server.

Actually GT98, at home my roomate and I have a fileserver with that exact chipset (SIS 745) and we have a SATA PCI card with 2 160gb drives in RAID 1. Works great.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
      X