Coda - One-Window Web Dev for Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coda - One-Window Web Dev for Mac OS X

I know this is going to be of limited interest to most (from both a platform and purpose perspective), but as a recommendation and reference I thought I'd post about it.

'It' is Coda, the newest application from Panic. Billed as a one-window web development environment for OS X, Code - by all accounts (including my few hours of use) - is a definite must-have for anyone doing serious design and development for the web.

Coda's not the cheapest application at $70/USD, but it's far cheaper than the numerous applications one would need to obtain the same functionality.

Almost makes me wish I was doing as much web design/development work as I used to
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

link doesn't seem to work
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The site has been hammered pretty hard throughout the day, so it's possible it was down.

Otherwise I don't know, the link works for me...

Comment

I can't see why you would need numerous apps to get the same functionality, most IDE's include everything within that and more, bar maybe the preset sites and the css tools but even that can be added easily with plugins/add-ons.

Zend and PhpEd spring to mind as two.

Obviously I'm coming from the PC side of things but I've heard that Macs have comparable versions of almost ever worthwhile app.

Comment

The only worthwhile web site design/development and management application available for OS X is Dreamweaver. Zend Studio doesn't quite fall into the same category as Dreamweaver or Coda.

You also have to remember that stand-alone applications that do one thing well are the standard for the majority of Mac web designers/developers. Applications like Textmate, BBEdit, SubEthaEdit (text editors), CSSEdit, and Transmit (FTP client) can be found in most of their workflows.

All-in-one solutions generally don't appeal to this type of Mac user. Dreamweaver of course has done fairly well, but I can't name anyone I know that uses it anymore.

Coda has a better chance because it exhibits simplicity without forsaking functionality. That and it is backed by some very well-respected Mac developers. It won't replace the stand-alone applications overall, but it might very well for the tasks it was created for. *As an aside, Coda is actually 'powered' by two favorites: SubEthaEdit and Transmit for code editing and FTP, respectively.
          Last edited by Jessterw; 24 April 2007, 19:14.

Comment

Working...
          X