How About A Hard Drive DV Camcorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About A Hard Drive DV Camcorder?

How about a camcorder that records DV .avi files to a hard disk?

Plain and simple.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Personally, I'm not sure that HDDs in a cam are a good idea. Battery life would go for a Burton, to start with, but I would be very worried about the mechanical stability. Cams take one hell of a beating and it would take only one shock while it was working for the head to plough up the magnetic layer. Both tapes and optical drives have an advantage: if something happens, it is the medium that suffers and an hour's recording, at the most, gone. With an HDD, it could be the cam that is out of service. Quite frankly, I find mini-DV tapes extremely reliable. I did have one chewed by a puppy, though.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

How about the hard drive and battery in a backpack that was shock mounted?

Comment

Or how about a camcorder with an ExpressCard:

Lexar's ExpressCard solid state drive is an interesting proposition: 4 to 16 gigabytes of non-volatile memory in a slot form factor. That's not only more storage than typical USB flash drives can offer, but more than most based on microdrives can, too. For those with lappies with ExpressCard slots, it would seem likeā€¦

Jerry Jones
        I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X