X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet food poisoning intentional?

Link....

Melamine in pet food may not be accidental

A nitrogen-rich chemical used to make plastic and sometimes as a fertilizer may have been deliberately added to an ingredient in pet food that has sickened and killed cats and dogs across the country, public and private officials say. A leading theory is that it was added to fake higher protein levels.

Melamine has been found in wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate and, in South Africa, corn gluten, all imported from China, and all meant for use in pet food, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed Thursday.

"It adds to the theory when you see other products that are labeled as protein supplements, in this case rice protein, and in South Africa corn gluten and in the previous case wheat gluten," said Stephen Sundlof, FDA chief veterinarian. "That melamine was found in all three of those, it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that this was intentional."

How the melamine got there is "not something we're going to be able to determine until we actually investigate the plants in China," he said.

The FDA has not yet been able to get letters of invitation from the Chinese government that would allow its inspectors to enter the country, he said.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was accidental. China is rapidly becoming one of the most polluted nations on Earth. We should probably be thankful industrial-sized accidents like this don't happen more frequently.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X