Fresh install vs. Tweaked install W98se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh install vs. Tweaked install W98se

You know I read every page about tweaking W98 that I can. The last install I had, was tweaked to the max. vcache,swapfile,modem tweaks(Mtu etc.),reg tweaks,Cdrom, you get the picture. I just did a complete fresh install of W98se and tweaked nothing! And you know what? it is faster that any thing that I have had in the past. Wow Microsoft might know what they are doing? Gee, default is not somthing that I have ever used in the past, but I kidd you not this is the best setup that I have had. (default). You know it is probably the one set up that no one here has ever really tried heheh Hey don't get me wrong, I love to tweak but for some reason I let windows do the swap, leave it on desktop instead of network server, default modem settings, etc. The OS loads faster runs smoother and ALL my benches are faster that ever. Pretty funny huh?

------------------
    PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!, Nokia 447Xi 17", oh yea, a nice floppy drive

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 09-27-1999).]

weird.

Did you order the discs? I got the downloadable updates (a portion of it) and noticed a slight diffrence, or maybe it was because I had to RESTART my computer....

hahahahahahahahahaha

------------------
    a digital display of evolution (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II)
    a digital display of evolution
    (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II-SLI)

Comment

Hello Lamfdtk,
      What you say is true. I have generally noticed a marked speed increase with applications after a fresh install of the OS. Things like Games are especially faster in rendering fps and windows startup/shutdowns are less time consuming.
      However, as more applications are installed (and uninstalled for that matter), and the hard drive nears its full capacity, the overall performance of the system seems to drop. This has always exhibited itself on all of the systems I have maintained.
      A periodic disk defrag is good for upkeep and reduces the disk thrashing about when loading applications.
      To be honest I have never seen a noticable increase in performance with all the tweaks, like the ones you have mentioned, but I still include them regardless.
      I agree, nothing beats a fresh install of the OS (but is not a practical solution to most systems). Or a good bunch of overclocking
      Frank.

Comment

This makes sense! I dont know what it was about the SE update, but I did see an improvment, in desktop acceleration.

Frank-

In response to your re-install- is there any advanyage to that other than to format? faster? I have noticed that after my wife gets on the computer, it runs horribly slow, and my resources are at 70 percent with nothing really major showing in the systray. I usually have to restart, can this be my RAM? Also I have 10 gig capacity HD, and am using 9 of it... should I or in your opinion, do you think I may be seeing some system challenges?

------------------
        a digital display of evolution (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II)
        a digital display of evolution
        (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II-SLI)

Comment

Upgrade the wife to Wife 2.0. That'll do the trick!
          Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

DW as harddisks aproch fullness, they run slower, and take system performance down with them. Try a larger(and maybe faster) harddisk (prices keep falling). If you have atleast 64MB of memory, you won't see much improvement my adding more. If prices were still low it probably couldn't hurt to go to 128MB, but it's probably not worth it now.

Hey I traded wife for GF and both could do more harm to my system in 10 minutes than would happen in 2 weeks. And their BIG apps are AOL, print shop, and solitare. Go figure?
            I can't cause those kind (or many) problems with complex 3D, photo editing, and video capture.

Mark F.

------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
            and burped out a movie

Comment

My main point was that using default rather than tweaking the O/S gave me a much faster platform.

Comment

Unfortunately, GF (any release), or Wife (any release) come with some very poorly written subroutines that do not release memory (they always want the full system resources, even when they are sleeping!) or other resources. Once either of these applications take possesion of a resource, you may as well forget that you ever had/owned them!!!
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

system resources mean very little.

get WinTop from the microsoft site. it was designed for windows 95 but works with no problems under 98 or 98SE. upon activation, it tells you all programs in memory, how many threads they are using, as well as processor % and time. you can also stop a program from it as well.

also, i suggest a memory management program. I have 192 meg of RAM and I will be down to 1 meg with nothing open after some apps have been run. many programs leave shit in memory for awhile and most memory managers can free up space. which is a good thing.

CB
                  Abit BX6 Rev.1
                  Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
                  192 meg RAM, CAS2
                  13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
                  6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
                  HP8110i 4x2x24
                  Pioneer DVD-104
                  SB Live! 1024
                  USB ZIP 100
                  G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
                  Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
                  YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Guyver -ROFLMAO- Too true!!!

Mark F.

------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                    X