New Processor on Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Processor on Order

Well, now I've done it! I went ahead and ordered my Boxed PIII-600... 800Mhz anyone?

I think I've gone around the bend, into the deep end, or some other appropriate synonym...

Guyv

------------------
    ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 39C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940UW, Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB, Quantum 4.5GB, Kenwood 52X TrueX, Mitsumi 3XDVD, Sony SDT-5010 4MM DAT, Toshiba 32X SCSI CD, Memorex 6x2x4x CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Pioneer VSX-3700S Dolby Surround Receiver, Design Accoustics 3-way fronts, Pioneer Surrounds, Logitech Marble FX

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

I shall keep everything crossed hoping you get some decent L2 Cache on you processor.
    I got a P3-550 a couple weeks ago and it has the Mitsubishi crap on it It will almost run at 115FSB but is very stable at 112FSB.
    I swapped my BX6 rev2 out for a BE6 on Monday. The BE6 is great and seems to run 5-6 degC cooler than the BX6 rev2 for both the processor and the system. Plus it has a few more FSB settings than the BX6 rev2. The only setback is that I can't use the Bios Flash trick (/cc) to get higher core voltages.

Paul

------------------
    P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstar 18GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hmmm... So far, haven't needed any higher voltages.... (I use a 350Watt Power supply) that could be why? - Not sure.....

I'm keeping things crossed as well (exceptin' for the GF's legs of course.... <lol> - Just kiddin' - don't go balistic on me...)

Guyv
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950

Comment

Paul,

was your processor an OEM or boxed?

Guyv
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950

Comment

Madness.........

(i like that 1.44 floppy in your sig)

Comment

I just happened to notice that there is a new voltage spec for the P3 600. It is now 2.05 volts, this is usually a good indicator that a processor is close to the limit of it's core speed.

Comment

(MADNESS) - I guess so..

1.44 - Thanks - Thought it was quaint and a bow to the old days...

Core - Hmmm - could be... Have you seen the new PIII-600B (133Mhz FSB) it's out on www.pricewatch.com (I think it may be prerelease though - Sounds an awful lot like an OC'd PIII-450... )

Guyv
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950

Comment

Guyver, my 550 was an OEM. The 500 I had before that was a retail both had the Mitsubishi L2 chips.
                Rag's is right about the core voltage. The 600's aren't known for their overclocking potential lately.

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

D@MN... Well, I'll just hope that I get a good one... My luck has held out so far...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950

Comment

Should have gone for a Celeron 400 or 433 and go for 600 or 650! Cheaper and just as fast. Aside for that extra instruction set.

We tried to get my friends C500a's up to 750.. did not work though. Actually, the 500a's suck. Couldnt even get it to POST at anything over 580.

CB
                    Abit BX6 Rev.1
                    Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
                    192 meg RAM, CAS2
                    13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
                    6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
                    HP8110i 4x2x24
                    Pioneer DVD-104
                    SB Live! 1024
                    USB ZIP 100
                    G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
                    Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
                    YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

The P3 500 and P3 600 are the same chip, just the P3 600 is OVERCLOCKED by Chipzilla himself. Do I hear a "Do as I say, not as I do"?
                      <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/990921-000013.html">
                      The Register strikes again</a>.

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 09-24-1999).]
                      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Guyver,

And I thought, I was insane.... 800 Mhz!

You just could not live with the fact that someone else was closing the gap on your 450@600 rig, could you?

I would love to hear more about your OC venture when you get it. Please post your comments and experiences with this new gem of yours, when you get it.
                        Keeping what legs not crossed on your GF? Front or hind? (Sorry, could not help it)

Paul,
                        How do you tell what kind of L2 cache chips your processor is equipped with? Rip off the cover or use a program? If Mitsubishi is crap, what is good then?

Regards,

Jake

------------------
                        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                        ----------------------
                        MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 192Mb PC-100 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR.
                        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                        ----------------------
                        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Hi Guys,

You'll have to take the Heatsink/Fan off of the P3 to see what kind of cache you have.

The best is the SEC(Samsung) and then the NEC and Toshiba. Unfortunatly the last two P3's that I opened up had the Mitsubishi logo on them.
                          Both of those processors would only overclock up to 112MHz FSB speed with the L2 Cache enabled.

Paul

Comment

You guys should get rid of those Retail Heatsink/Fan combos anyways. I put an Alpha on my 550 and it works great.
                            To remove the Retail Heatsink/Fan use the 'case screw method', it's fairly easy and safe. I used this method on three processors now. It leaves everything intact and you can reassemble them if you ever have to.
                            Just place a case screw Threads up on a solid but non slick surface - I used my desk pad. Line up the screw with one of the four pins on the Backside (plastic cover w/ hologram) and press straight down. Both thumbs on either side of the pin your removing to apply pressure. You will hear a pop when the pin clears the PCB. Use a screw driver to remove the screw if it gets stuck in the plastic cover. Don't worry the screw isn't long enough to touch the card. Also don't try to pull out the pin, they are very brittle and will break very easy. Repeat the case screw process on the other three pins.
                            This will leave the Heatsink/Fan intact with all four pins, in case you need to reassemble the thing. You will need acetone or carborator cleaner to remove the residue from the thermal pad which sticks to the processor.
                            To reassemble just realign the pins with the holes in the card. I use the back/flat end of a Bic pen and push the pin back through the PCB card. The plastic pen leaves no marks on the plastic pin. Just in case you need to return the processor for a refund...Heheheh

Paul

------------------
                            P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstar 18GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

Comment

Paul - Not everyone has the same case screws... Some of us don't have any (or at least they are loose)

Anyway, thanks for the advise, will definately look into the new rigs. Where do I go to find these Alpha coolers ... I've heard of them, but haven't seen them...

Guyv
                              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                              - 6.1 Digital Audio
                              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                              - LS120 IDE Floppy
                              - Zip 100 IDE
                              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                              - NEC FE950

Comment

Working...
                              X