Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking PIII-450 survey!!!!

Hi!

As the PIII-450 is getting cheaper I'm considering buying one. How's about all you wacko OC'ers out there post your results and and your rig setup here....

Does it OC like your momma or is it a lemon?? Come on, show me (the money?) some numers, please!

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

558 mhz @ 124mhz FSB @ 2.0 volts with Retail PIII with standard fan. Temp is 46C. MB is ABIT BE-6. Memory is 64 megs of CAS 2 Siemens.
    "Saving the world with code."
    Grape Juice - Geek in shining armor.

Comment

ABit BH6, P3450@558, 128 PC100, G200, WD Caviar, Seagate Medalist.

Rags

------------------
      FedEx Sucks!

Comment

ABIT BE6, PIII450@600Mhz -- Just read the sig...

------------------
        ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 39C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB, Quantum 4.5GB, Kenwood 52X TrueX, Mitsumi 3XDVD, Sony SDT-5010 4MM DAT, Toshiba 32X SCSI CD, Memorex 6x2x4x CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Pioneer VSX-3700S Dolby Surround Receiver, Design Accoustics 3-way fronts, Pioneer Surrounds, Logitech Marble FX

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 09-17-1999).]
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

That's a lot of CD/DVD devices there Guyver...sheesh.

PIII 450 @ 540 MHz using an ASUS P3B-F. I have not really tried to tweak it much higher yet, but will work on it soon.

Jammrock

------------------
          My computer can play all of my games well...except TA: Kingdoms, which I think you need a Kray to play.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

OH BOY!

I'm getting a hard-on boys! Well, maybe not, but vlose anyway. Guyver, your rig ought to be smokin'!! Man, what a setup. That baby must sound like a 747 taking off! I'm impressed! However, I think I've read somewhere on this board, that you fitted your CPU with some kind of super-wacko-cooling setup. Right?

Rags, your setup is close to mine. I have the BH6 too. This "old" baby has been showing me some serious lovin' since I bought her and plugged in my ol' Celery 266. Been running smooth at 448 Mhz.
            Now, she tells me that in order to be prepared for a G400MAX she needs some hard PIII lovin'. Preferably in the 550-600 range. And you do not want to mess with the bitch!!!

As the minister says: You gotta pay to pray!!

thanks for sharing guys. I guess, I have to get one of those tomorrow! YEAAH BABY!!

Later,

Jake

----------------------
            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Jammrock - about your sig, surely you must mean a Cray!?

------------------
              ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CDU-924S CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.
              ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Aopen AX6BC (Rev 1.3) not PRO or Gold - PIII 450 @560 ( 558 to 561 depending on program being asked, what ever) with Tennmax cooler (nothing extreme)- Max (not OCed) -100% stable (will even run seti@Home for week+, with no reboots and alot of other use, running WIN98) - Haven't tried higher speeds because I don't want to take the chance with vidCard at higher AGP speeds.

Mark F.

------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                --------------------------------------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Comment

Nothing super or wacko here folks... Just a second CPU fan fitted to the bottom of the C-Channel of the CPU. This has the effect of blowing air from the bottom of the c-channel to the top with a mix of cooler air at the center where the standard fan takes in air. There is a fan at the back of the case below the PS that exhausts the heated air out of the system. The high-temp cheetah sits above the PS with it's own vent holes on the back of the chassis...

Guyv
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                  - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                  - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950
                  - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Hi guys!

Well, I got my PII-450 today. Or maybe I should say PII-558!!!

This baby runs 4.5*124 like a charm!! At default voltage 2.0V!! I LOVE IT!!! And the best thing is that I'm using regular PC-100 Samsung and Mosel Vitelic RAM. With my Celeron my PC would lock up at 496 (124 Mhz bus). I guess the CPU got too hot or I just hit the limit at 448...

Here are some number for you to compare.
                    Btw: I got a 6 fps increase in Q3 on my old G200. That's nice.

Nice performance, right?

Again, thanks for convincing me. I only hope I can give you some good advice too sometime.

Regards,

Jake
                    ----------------------

Comment

That's pretty sweet. I might have to finally replace my PII-350. How hard would it be to OC that puppy on an Asus P2B-S?
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Jake, Surely you mean a PIII-450 instead of a PII-450?

------------------
                        PII 450@504 (4.5*112)
                        Matrox G400 vanilla/5ns@ 167/209
                        Diamond MX300
                        256Mb pc100 ram
                        10gb WD
                        generic 10/100 NIC

hi

Comment

Paradox,

Yes, you are right. I did buy a PIII and not a PII. (small typo).

While I'm writing:

Guyver, could you write up for me (or us), the exact procedure used to mount that extra fan on the CPU. What kind of fan did you use?
                          What's a C-channel? And where is it? Any pictures?

Lot's of questions.....

Does anybody know why the Abit BH6 CPU setup lists the divider for 124 and 133 to be 1/3. Shouldn't it be 1/4? Sandra reports 1/4 at 124 Mhz, which translates to 31 Mhz PCI speed and 83*2 AGP speed with the AGP 2/3 setting.

At default speed (450) I get a board temp reading from Sandra at 35C/95F degrees when the system has been running for 30 min. or so. As the BH6 cannot measure CPU temp through the PIII core thermistor like the
                          BX2, I'm a bit worried about frying my CPU.

Should I worry and get as BX2 board or chill out and run 558, and live life on the wild (and maybe dangerous) side?

Let me know what you think...

If I go the BX2, I will have to cough up about $170 as hardware is expensive in Denmark. And as far as I know the only real difference between the BH6 and the BX2 is the more advanced system monitoring chip (LM80?) and higher bus frequencies, which my RAM can't handle anyway...

Any suggestions? Is it worth the dough?
                          Sorry about the long rant...

Regards,

Jake
                          ----------------------

Comment

Keep your BH6 for now. The BH6 version that you apparently and I do have doesn't support the 1/4 divider for the PCI clock ratio. So don't worry about it. The system temp you are seeing is also pretty normal. If it is stable, and you don't see any lockups, I would just leave well enough alone.

Rags

------------------
                            FedEx Sucks!

Comment

Hi Maggi!

You mean you don't know SiSoft Sandra?????
                              Holy cow!! It's just about the best information and benchmark tool I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot. I have the PRO version, which is higly recommended (not free), but it has not been updated to support Windows SE, so I use the standard version for now. It has been released in a newer version (5.30) and it's free!

Well, I guess even an old dog can be taught new tricks..

Here ya go: http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sa...html/dload.htm

Have fun! And if you don't mind, post your scores here, please... (I allways wanted to find out how those dual PIII's perform.)

Regards,

Jake
                              ----------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X