The Other Side of the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Side of the World

The New York Sun covers America and the world from a base in New York. Its report comprises straightforward news dispatches and a lively editorial page…

One of American cinema's lost masterpieces could finally reach theaters next year after a deal nears completion to edit and release Orson Welles's final, uncompleted film, "The Other Side of the Wind," according to the director and actor Peter Bogdanovich.

The unedited negatives of the film have sat in a Paris vault for more than 30 years, unseen by anyone other than Welles, who died in 1985.

Welles spent at least five years during the 1970s working on "The Other Side of the Wind," which stars John Huston as an aging filmmaker directing what turns out to be his final movie. Huston's character dies in a car crash before he finishes his film, and Welles's story unfolds in flashback after the death of the central character, a device Welles previously employed in " Citizen Kane," considered by many to be the greatest film ever made.

Before he died, Welles claimed that the shooting of "The Other Side of the Wind" was almost complete, and the filmmaker is known to have edited between 40 minutes and 50 minutes of the work, excerpts of which have occasionally been screened at Welles retrospectives.

If they do Welles' work justice then this could be far more worth viewing than any number of remakes or sequels.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

I don't think I would trust anyone other than Peter Bogdanovich to do this justice.

Except myself, of course .

Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X