Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop search pgms

Hi folks,
    Anyone with any experiences with these types of programs? Do you have one that you can reccommend?
    I found these three, that are not internet based.
    After I used a work computer that had the google desktop program I loved what the program was capable of, but I didn't like the idea of google listing also internet links from my search too. And I'm kind of weary of letting google index my personnel files. I kind of like X1 from what I've been reading so far.

Copernic:

X1:

Exalead:
    Transform data into actionable knowledge to boost innovation and competitiveness

Don't use them myself, but PC Pro did a comparative review of a handful recently.

You can see some of the reviews lower down here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/search/?q=des...l&m=all&as=yes
    FT.

Comment

Uhmm, RhinoZ, the index of data isn't kept in Google servers (it might be for your convenience, but by defualt isn't), it's on your hdd. I also do keep internet search history online, in Google account...but it's mostly unrelated to G Desktop Search.

Comment

@ Fat tone, thanks for the find.

@Nowhere, thanks for the info and insight. I guess you use google desktop?? Are you happy with it?

Comment

Not only is the google data kept on your HDD, but it can take up several gigs after a while of running! NICE CODING, GOOGLE!
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Now that there's a Mac version I could actually see what the fuss was about. I don't really use OS X's Spotlight interface (which is to say the menubar access as opposed to the in-built search capability available to all apps), so I don't see myself using Google's offering. Nevertheless, it's still well done and I would like using it if I did.

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
            Not only is the google data kept on your HDD, but it can take up several gigs after a while of running! NICE CODING, GOOGLE!
            How long is a while exactly? Just wondering. I pounded it rather hard with searches (including Gmail) and have left it running for almost a day now without any excessive disk usage. It's possible that the Mac version is more optimized, but I'm having a hard time believing that to be the case.

I'd really like to know in case I have to recommend for or against it to someone.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
              Now that there's a Mac version I could actually see what the fuss was about. I don't really use OS X's Spotlight interface (which is to say the menubar access as opposed to the in-built search capability available to all apps), so I don't see myself using Google's offering. Nevertheless, it's still well done and I would like using it if I did.

How long is a while exactly? Just wondering. I pounded it rather hard with searches (including Gmail) and have left it running for almost a day now without any excessive disk usage. It's possible that the Mac version is more optimized, but I'm having a hard time believing that to be the case.

I'd really like to know in case I have to recommend for or against it to someone.
              Someone accidentally (*ahem* or NOT accidentally but I have to give benefit of the doubt) installed Google Desktop Search on a client's Windows 2003 Server box.

When the C: drive ran out of space, we got suspicious. Turns out GDS was using over a gigabyte PER USER, for several users on the server. Oops!
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Installing such app on server box is not exactly typicall...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                  Installing such app on server box is not exactly typicall...

No, but that disc usage is pretty insane.

Comment

Working...
                  X