Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Rant

What I want to see.

Create a VESA standard chassis for mounting Media player behind TV.

Change shape of PS3 so it bolts on the back of the telly.

Let it be the Blu Ray / HD-DVD HDTV playback solution / handle DVR Tivo functionality as well as internet browsing games everything. Cablecard support etc. Make it modular so petopel can add various approved boltons.

It could be the size of a pizza box and be silent. Vesa wall mount on front and back.

Since you are using HDMI 1.3 run balanced cables from the Screen to the active speakers round the room or a power amp. This will allow good SACD and DVD-Audio playback.

I want one device to do it all. It's not that hard. There is no need for so many damn boxes, ani i don't need to show them off either. Just want to see a screen and speakers.

Built in Wii reception module / webcam would rock too.

Sony / Microsoft Apple one of you guys sort it out!!!

This is block diagram. How I want things.
    Block diagram.jpg

I am annoyed that current TV's have multiple HDMI inputs, but no multichannel output in analog, just stereo.

The optical output is lame as it is restricted by DRM, and won't support the latest audio types at full resolution, no SACD playback, no hires BLUray audio. Everything can be done over HDMI 1.3.

Why on earth do you need a surround processor???? HDMI Switcher. Why does every device need to do analog outputs, Video / Audio? What a waste of chips. Why do I need a scaler if the PS3 outputs at native 1080P.

Why do you need a seperate HD Satellite / Cable box. The PS3 has enough horsepower to decode most types of video, handle TV recordings, audio recordings, video editing , cd ripping etc. HDMI 1.3 already passes the audio streams. So surely you just need one multichannel dac built into the TV.

PS3 addons i'd like to see. DVD writer bolton. Larger external HDD option.
    What do you guys think? Or am I being stupid.
    Last edited by Fluff; 4 May 2007, 09:06.

Comment

optical won't support the latest audio types at full resolution? is there a reason to have more than DTS 1.5Mbit/s?

personally, **** the PS3. i don't buy into sony's idea of a platform. it's expensive, crippled by DRM, and 100% proprietary.

and, about the PS3 outputting at 1080p... last I checked it doesn't always output at 1080p... in fact last I saw there were quite a few scenarios where it will drop down to 720p and 480p... which is why your TV needs a scaler...
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Leaders in professional-grade audio/video recording, playback and signal distribution. Delivering premium products for the recording, playback and management of multimedia signal sources, Denon Professional is trusted by the most demanding professional installers and system integrators around the world for their superbly-engineered quality equipment and their innovative solutions to the most challenging problems.

I would like to see more of these kind of products. Would do me, would be perfect if it had USB soundcard built in.

Comment

that receiver is supposed to retail at $1100. it is not a consumer grade piece of equipment. which is why you don't see more of them - each and every one of those standards that it supports requires explicit testing and certification. and each one costs money.

also, note that is a preamp. you would still need a seperate amplifier for any sort of AV setup that would actually let you hear the difference between that preamp and another. effectively, you just increased the system cost by a *ton*.

there is no reason in the world to have that in your home theater unless you literally have a theater setup in a big room.

in addition... adding USB to that would actually increase the problems you have. USB soundcards increase processor utilization on the computer by, well, a lot as the *usually* result in the computer doing the signal processing. not to mention the overhead from the USB protocol and the increase in latency you get from that (whereas audio processing is supposed to be a low latency affair...). basically, there are a lot of good reasons that creative never released a USB sound card.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
          X