X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laws of robotics

Link....

Droid-on-droid mayhem OK'd; machines to ask before snuffing humans

A new set of laws has been proposed to govern operations by killer robots. The ideas were floated by John S Canning, an engineer at the Naval Surface Warfare Centre, Dahlgren Division – an American weapons-research and test establishment. Mr Canning's “Concept of Operations for Armed Autonomous Systems” presentation can be downloaded here (pdf).

Many Reg readers will be familiar with the old-school Asimov Laws of Robotics, but these are clearly unsuitable for war robots – too restrictive. However, the new Canning Laws are certainly not a carte blanche for homicidal droids to obliterate fleshies without limit; au contraire.

Canning proposes that robot warriors should be allowed to mix it up among themselves freely, autonomously deciding to blast enemy weapon systems. Many enemy “systems” would, of course, be themselves robots, so it's clear that machine-on-machine violence isn't a problem. The difficulty comes when the automatic battlers need to target humans. In such cases Mr Canning says that permission from a human operator should be sought.

“Let machines target other machines,” he writes, “and let men target men.”
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Problem starts when a machine 'thinks' it's targetting another machine. You don't always know whether that armored vehicle is manned or not and by the time you verify it, you might as well dig your own grave..
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

as much as i would love our various leaders to sit down to a game of Go or Chess to work out things, and knowing that won't happen.
      I am against using robots in war.
      robots equals only $$$ spent, for each human life lost, you have to be able to face that family and say why that child died.
      much harder to justify.

**yes always there are what if this n thats. just broad brushing here people.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
      X