• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camino may be in the tank for awhile

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...tag=st.cn.1fd2
    chuck

------------------
    ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@????, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Now I see why memory prices went through the roof. Intel tells all the box makers to use Rambus if you want to stay in business. Then at the last minute Intel says "Oops! I'm sorry, but the one million machines you built waiting for Camino, won't work, so throw them away. Use BX boards and scramble for PC100 wherever you can find it, because Camino won't be ready until December after all. I know its late August and I told you everything would be ready for the end of September, but I goofed. So, sue me. Sorry for the mistake. Oh, and if you still want to be my friend, don't complain or you won't get any BX chips either."

Somehow, I suspected Intel must be behind this whole memory mess and this explains it. Thanks for the link Chuck. It explains all too many things, only too clearly.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Now I see why memory prices went through the roof. Intel tells all the box makers to use Rambus if you want to stay in business. Then at the last minute Intel says "Oops! I'm sorry, but the one million machines you built waiting for Camino, won't work, so throw them away. Use BX boards and scramble for PC100 wherever you can find it, because Camino won't be ready until December after all. I know its late August and I told you everything would be ready for the end of September, but I goofed. So, sue me. Sorry for the mistake. Oh, and if you still want to be my friend, don't complain or you won't get any BX chips either."

Somehow, I suspected Intel must be behind this whole memory mess and this explains it. Thanks for the link Chuck. It explains all too many things, only too clearly.

RAB
      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Hey RAB,
        Did you read this? It's about the INTEL -SDRAM price manipulation. In this forum
        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000438.html

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Mark,
          I read the other thread too, but it didn't explain how Intel was able to raise prices since they don't make the stuff. Chuck's link does explain it.

If every box maker is setup to start using large amounts of Rambus and has switched production, ignoring PC100 and PC133, the PC varieties will get cheap because the box builders don't want it and thereby leaving a large supply with low demand. But then if Intel pulls the rug out from under Rambus with a faulty memory bus design, suddenly every box maker in the world needs more PC type memory and demand exceeds supply - prices skyrocket.

This explains how Intel can manipulate memory prices without actully making and selling the stuff itself. Quite ingenius, but once the box makers figure this out, like Micron apparently has, then Intel may end up shooting itself in the foot.

RAB

"Intel, sir, can I reload your gun for you?"

Comment

Working...
          X