Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still need help deciding what SCSI HDD to buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still need help deciding what SCSI HDD to buy.

Initially I thought that the only option was the VIKING II with a 4.5GB CAP.Yet recently I stumbled across the Fujitsu MAC3045SC which has the same capacity(of 4.5GB) about the same average seek times but a 10K RPM ROT speed which delivers a 2.99ms latency(BTW what the #$%#@ is this latency?)at about the same price.So which one's the best.Other options are of course welcome as long as they are in the same price region since I can't afford to spend much more than the money a VIKING II costs.

Oh and BTW if anyone can tell me how much the Ultra2 Wide version of the MAC3045(MAC3045SC I think)that'd be great.I had only succes finding the MAC3045SP's(UW version)price which is about 250$(USD is that correct?).
    Thanx to anyone going through the trouble of answering this.

------------------
    -=Jimmy=-
    -=Jimmy=-

Latency is the amount of time it takes the
    hard drive to find the data.
    My scsi drive 7200 rpm western digital
    has an access of 6.9ms, and that is damn
    fast.

Comment

I would forget about the Fujitsu. Seagate Cheetah's the champ. Their Barracudas are kings at 7200RPM too. Specs of the Cheetah even beat some new 12,000 RPM drives. Whatever you do, don't get a half height 10,000RPM drive unless you want to go to outlandish lengths to cool the thing.

IBMs are good drives for a bit less than the Seagates, but Seagate leads the way in drive technology. They run cooler and quieter too.

------------------
      Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Working...
      X