Multiple WiFi Connections....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple WiFi Connections....

I frequently roam from one network to another with my laptop. Whilst Vista has the ability to prioritise WiFi networks and save authentication data, it will not save SSID specific IPs.

The problem is that not all of the networks that I connect to use DHCP. I don't mind configuring my laptop to a specific IP if I encounter a new network, but it is a pain constantly changing from one IP to another.

Is there a tool that will change your IP config to match the network SSID? Even if there is a 'profile' where you can enable one of three different configs would save me loads of time.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I purchasedNetProfile Switch to easily switch networks. It doesn't allow autmatic activation of a profile (but I'll post it on the forum ).

When searching for such a software, I did come across a couple that try to automatically which network they are currently to and activate the profile.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Perhaps the Microsoft tool VirtualWifi could be used?
      It creates a virtual wifi adapter and allows one to connect to two different wifis at the same time. Dunno what it does when only one network is present, but perhaps it might allow you to define a profile on one adapter and a different profile on the other one....?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I have a related question:

My wife's PC uses Wifi. When she VPNs in to her work for file and email access, she can no longer browse the web, presumably because the VPN doesn't carry port 80?.

Is there a way of having two separate connections to my router so she can browse and email at the same time?
        FT.

Comment

Interesting question...
          But I have no idea; the VPN at our work is required for all wifi access, but it
          allows all traffic (though it seems to disconnect after 30s for VOIP).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X