Intresting network drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intresting network drive

My brother just came accross the NAS storage solutions offered by Infrant Technologies. Interesting about their storage solutions is the software they offer to run media applications embedded on the system.

The download section only lists SlimServer (for SqueezeBox) as a download; but this is an upgrade. In the pdf manual, is a list of the services (p. 30): SlimServer, iTunes, UPnP AV, Home Media Streaming Server (for Syabas clients).

My brother is thinking of setting up a number of Squeezeboxes around the house, but doesn't want to use a central computer that he would have to keep running; a media capable NAS would be the solution. This is the first solution he found that offers this kind of media streaming out of the box.
    Mind you, the NAS boxes aren't cheap though.

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 5 April 2007, 01:33.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Helevitia has an Infrant NAS. Don't remember which one he went with though. One of the ReadyNAS solutions I believe, but don't know the specific one.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
      ...the NAS boxes aren't cheap though.
      Good ones aren't

The Infrant boxes aren't that much more expensive than the Buffalo ones but are way better.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The only media app I use off of my NAS is the iTunes server. It's very nice and any computer on my network using iTunes client can access all of my music. I love it! All of those services you listed are in the NAS software by default. I can show you a screen shot later tonight when I get home.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

just got my ReadyNAS NV+ set up and running. Sweet little box. Just make sure you get drives on the compatability list if you buy a diskless version. Haven't started in on the media streaming side yet. Nice bonus though- very good backup software included EMC Retrospect - 5 licenses for Mac, Win. Newegg has it for about 625 USD shipped.

The neat thing is you can add drives one at a time, building redundancy as you go automatically and then convert to raid 5 when you have 4 drives.

Comment

You have the NV listed, not the NV+ Only the NV+ has the retrospect software, FYI.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

There are lots of posts on the slim forums about running slimserver on infrant boxes. I haven't looed into this option, but if it sounds too troublesome, I'd get a Mac Mini. They draw only little more than any beefy NAS box would, are almost inaudible (probably softer than any actively cooled NAS, and certainly more so than even a passively cooled 3.5" drive box) and SlimServer also comes for OSX.

BTW, I've found that the Squeezebox's navigation is far more powerful and as easy as that of iTunes via the apple remote. I'm thinking about keeping the Squeezebox despite the fact that it would sit right next to the computer on this alone - which would mean another month more to wait for a monitor (my back hurts after just a few minutes with the notebook on my desk, because the chair doesn't go low enough, or the desk has been set to a height suitable for a keyboard, not a screen).
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

OFF TOPIC:

If you haven't already, get yourself an external keyboard and then find on of the many stands that place your notebook at an angle. The benefit is twofold - the notebook takes up less desk space and the screen is raised to a height more like a monitor.

I don't use one, though I do use an old Dell CRT stand to raise my iBook's screen up and I can store things underneath it.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Apple wireless keyboard is already here, 22" TFT when I'm rich enough (since the MB doubles as my TV, possibly stereo, definitely movie player as well). This is the reason I'm even thinking about selling the squeezebox, since it fetches at least 250 used on ebay still.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Services on the NV and NV+(FYI - the NV and the NV+ are exact same hardware except the NV+ has an LCD screen and comes with 5 user license of retrospect).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
                      Services on the NV and NV+(FYI - the NV and the NV+ are exact same hardware except the NV+ has an LCD screen and comes with 5 user license of retrospect).

Does the NV/NV+ have a size limit for the RAID array? I remember reading that it had a 2 TB limit, but I've seen some NV+ preconfigs with 4 x 750 GB drives. Just curious.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

IIRC, the NV+ had components upgraded (over the NV) to handle higher temperatures so they could reduce the fan noise. Helevitia - actually Newegg got the part # correct and the description wrong - that's what i ordered and i got the + ( Part# RNV2-S2-0000 )

here's the direct link to Infrant store:

The V2 in the part # is for the NV+ version, V1 is the NV
                        S2 is 256 MB memory, S4 is 1 GB memory

The NV+ is definitely 3TB
                        Last edited by degrub; 6 April 2007, 21:04.

Comment

2TB was the size limit when it first came out, but they have since raised it to 3TB.

Comment

Working...
                          X