VX Revolution quick review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VX Revolution quick review

The free-spinning wheel is nice. But: YOU CAN'T ****ING MIDDLE CLICK ON THIS THING! That is, in theory, you can. But the difference between theory and practice is that while in theory they are the same, in practice they aren't. You need to exert too much pressure on the wheel for it to be useful. And you need to be careful not to tilt the wheel. AND it doesn't click when you feel the click, it clicks later. Maybe.

The zoom lever also feels awkward.

The OSX drivers suck so much I'm actually thinking about paying 20 EUR for a third-party driver.

But the stowaway receiver is nice and small, and the mouse has at least 2 meters range and so far seems reliable. And it fits my hand really, really nicely.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

So the design is nice, but the implementation sucks arse? I'm surprised given how many good reviews it gets, but then I've found even reviews by individuals to be less and less useful.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

The free-spinning wheel also gets in the way sometimes. On the MX revolution, you can switch wheel behaviour by a middle-click (scrolling all over the place tring to do it), on the VX, there's a mechanical lever you have to engage with your fingernail to switch ratcheting on and off. I think the MX can switch wheel behavior automatically depending on which app has focus, which seems nice.

Free-wheelin' cover flow is trippy, though

I'd like it if the wheel were ratchetless, but not QUITE as free spinning normally (kinda like MSes mice, but less awkward, please), and started spinning well when you really do spin it (as it is, I constantly scroll little amounts because I brushed it with my index or middle finger). And of course if scrolling really were smooth. As it is, at least on the mac (it's finally here, thoughts on it over the weekend - and not at all only positive ones), scrolling is still in steps.

Otherwise, it's a great mouse, though. And I like the spinning stuff enough to put up with its shortcomings. Still it's one huge step back to not have proper middle clicking.

EDIT: So if anybody thinks about buying it, I strongly recommend you try browsing with it first (middle click!) or make sure you can return it. And only buy for the mac if you want to pay for SteerMouse or don't want to really use the extra buttons (Logitech Control Center crashes every time I try t set a button to middle click, for instance. I'm sure it crashes on lots of other occasions as well, haven't bothered).

Comment

I have a G5 and noticed the same thing with the middle click. Tempted to switch back to MX510 but the laser is just so smooth on the G5. Other than that the mouse is great.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

On my G5 I use the "thumb/backwards" button as "middleklick" and the wheel tilt as "forward/backward"
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Update: Mac Drivers are working now.

I really like the shape of the mouse, and the first battery just started showing that it's only 2/3 full a few days ago, but I never switched the mouse off. It needs a little shake to wake up from a longer sleep, but this never happened to me during ordinary use. It also wakes up the MacBook properly.

The free-wheelin' wheel is still nice, but sometimes annoying (in EyeTV, turning the wheel means fast forward/rewind, so I often engage the timeshift when I don't want to. In Opera, mouse gestures are done with the right mouse button held down, and holding down the RMB and scrolling the wheel is the gesture to quickly switch tabs, which happens inadvertedly sometimes. The MX revolution can automatically make the wheel clicky depending on which app has focus, AFAIK. The VX can't.)

I never use the zoom rocker because I can't reach it easily and it has an awkward feel anyway. I got used to using the search button (below the wheel) as middle click, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
              On my G5 I use the "thumb/backwards" button as "middleklick" and the wheel tilt as "forward/backward"

I've been doin that now too
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I got it from one of those slickdeals sales. I like it a lot but you have to turn down the sensitivity a great deal.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                X