Very interesting read on ATI's upcoming cablecard ready tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting read on ATI's upcoming cablecard ready tuner

I think it's pretty obvious the cable companies are fighting this tooth and nail. Even though they are required by law to have them available for customers the $42.95 "installation fee" is ridiculous. Also there seems to be numerous snags in the system.

And I think the cable guy's comment about "why would anyone want to do this when you can rent the DVR for $9 a month" shows you where they are.

The cable companies want to bleed every last cent out of us. I really despise them.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Most people can already digitize off cable/satellite using the boxes aux outputs and an analog capture card. If you want digital I/O then Canopus's boxes/cards can turn the boxes output to IEEE-1394 DV.

And that's just the tip of the options iceberg.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 April 2007, 11:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I see what you are saying Doc but I'd like to set up a HTPC without the cable company box and I'd need a cablecard and this ATI tuner or something similar to tune my pay cable HD channels.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I gave up on cable years ago and I haven't missed it one bit.

Based on the incredible "hassle factor" described in the article, I have absolutely no interest in cable.

I'm quite content to pull digital programs off-air using a QAM tuner such as the model I bought from DVICO:

It's inexpensive and easy to install.

Works great on standard Microsoft Windows XP Home, too.

Simple.

I like simple.

Jerry Jones
        I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X