• Cables (AGAIN!)

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Very, very old. Greebe posted this years ago

Still good and true, of course
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Interesting thou.
      you will go and by a piece of audio/video equipment and they will point you to the $100 cables that they recommend- anything less and you wouldn't be getting the 'full experience'
      then you look behind their high dollar state of the art floor models, and what do you see - the cheapo $10 cables

"no thanks, I'll just have the same cables you are using"
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Actually, I'm using a four 2.5mm core extension cord for my rear speakers. It's solid, it's white (exterior insulation), each core is individually insulated in pvc and it costs me around $1.5 per meter.

Much like this, only 4 copper cores:

Comment

The only reason to drop more than the bare minimum for cables is aesthetics or ruggedness for the stage.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Depends on your speakers/amp, with some setups all cables will sound the same, with others there will be a big difference.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Also, (again some setups there wont be a diff, some there will) when you have been listening to the same music, and the exact same setup for YEARS, and start switching cables, it can be quite easy to notice differences.

edit: but are these differences worth the $$$? for all but a very small population: no
              Last edited by Mehen; 6 April 2007, 02:02.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Quoting this thread http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=61328

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                Even in dubble blind tests?

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                  Also, (again some setups there wont be a diff, some there will) when you have been listening to the same music, and the exact same setup for YEARS, and start switching cables, it can be quite easy to notice differences.

edit: but are these differences worth the $$$? for all but a very small population: no
                  as the culprit is most certainly oxidation you'll get the exact same result by cutting of an inch
                  of the old cables ends and polish the connectors a bit
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

In my setup, I have somewhat low-impedance speakers (nom. 4 ohm, min I think around 2.8 and ribbon tweeters) and a very high internal-impedance amp. In such a setup, you need good wires. What is good? Well, the table that guy gives sounds about right. Good is, in my case, just a bit thicker than normal. Not $1.5 a meter but at $7 not that much more.

I do think I mentioned stripping about a cm from the cables not to long ago and, yes, that does make them better.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

My setup sounds much better when I've got a cold beer in my hand.
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                        My setup sounds much better when I've got a cold beer in my hand.

As the article says, when comparing cables, to make sure it's not psycho-acoustics, see if you can tell at which cable length, there's no more difference.
                        Electronic fact is, if you're using 2.5mm cables, at 2 meter cable length you simply can't hear any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                          as the culprit is most certainly oxidation you'll get the exact same result by cutting of an inch
                          of the old cables ends and polish the connectors a bit

people who spend thousands also regularily clean/polish

Comment

with the price of copper at moment, active starts making more sense

Comment

I love the cable supports - some of the old engineers I worked with would be pissing themselves with laughter at those

I've got QED 79-strand stuff for my system, and Maplins HQ-Speaker cable for the rear surround speakers.
                              Before that, I used 15a 240v solid cored ring main cable, which in a "What Hi-Fi" test had scored 4/5 stars.
                              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                              X