X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K.I.T.T. for sale

Article....

Famed KITT Car Is Up For Sale

(AP) DUBLIN, Calif. KITT, the flame-throwing, river-jumping, talking muscle car from the 1980s show "Knight Rider," is up for sale.

Now restored to its debut-season glory -- the modified black 1982 Pontiac Trans Am is being auctioned at a Dublin car
    dealership. Asking price? $149,995.

Johnny "Vette" Verhoek of Kassabian Motors has had the car on display for about a month. KITT stands for Knight Industries Two Thousand.

It's one of four documented "camera cars" used for close-up shots and scenes where David Hasselhoff, who played Michael Knight in the series, was behind the wheel.

Although it cannot achieve the 300 miles per hour speeds that KITT reached, soar 50 feet in the air or throw smoke bombs, key features of the TV star car are intact. Perhaps most importantly, the red scanner light on the nose glows and makes a humming noise.

The car belongs to Tim Russo of Livermore, a Kassabian customer who figured now was a good time to test the market. He bought it 10 years ago at an auction and spent the last decade finding parts to restore it.

The TV show debuted in 1982.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 April 2007, 00:23.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

In another article I read, it the buyer won't be allowed to drive it on the road, as it doesn't meet some emissions standards (no catalytic converter for instance).

Guess it wasn't that futuristic after all...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The buyer can certainly get a waiver for Sunday drives and such. There are several emissions backdoors available as long as you promise to not exceed a certain number of miles per week with the vehicle.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

This car is so outdated it doesn't even look pretty anymore. For that kind of money you can get a real custom hotrod - http://www.radrides.com/home.php

Sniper:

Fast Forward Fastback:

Both cars seen on Discovery channel.
        Last edited by TransformX; 4 April 2007, 05:51.
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
          The buyer can certainly get a waiver for Sunday drives and such. There are several emissions backdoors available as long as you promise to not exceed a certain number of miles per week with the vehicle.
          Not necessarily; in but a few states like California etc. that set their own standards the rules are far different than what you describe. Here people register/drive 60's & 70's cars all the time, emissions controls or not.

Michigan (and most other states) also have emissions low enough that the Federal mandated emissions testing of individual vehicles is waived, and even if it weren't vehicles >10 years old are exempt from testing.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 April 2007, 07:09.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

hehe, my 1987 Maserati Biturbo SI has now been exempt from Emmisions testing, it's 20 years old now

FINALLY!

Too bad I'm selling it. (still thinking)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Elie; 4 April 2007, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Not necessarily; in but a few states like California etc. that set their own standards the rules are far different than what you describe. Here people register/drive 60's & 70's cars all the time, emissions controls or not.

Michigan (and most other states) also have emissions low enough that the Federal mandated emissions testing of individual vehicles is waived, and even if it weren't vehicles >10 years old are exempt from testing.
              This was a real sore spot for me.
              I had a vehicle that had a race prepped motor in it that only went to the track and back - about 500km a year, but had to have it emission tested every 2 years - my only option was to swap the stock motor in every two years and swap the other motor back in when done. There were no exemptions here.
              It's now over the 20 year mark, but I'm too busy to take it racing any more
              Any body need a 450hp motor?
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

And I was grumbling because every year when I take the green hornet in for MOT (includes emissions test) I have to wind the mixture screw in a turn and wind it out again once its passed

Although this time around, I've changed the dizzy cap & rotor for ones that actually have metal left on the contacts. The old ones were so worn that the spark must've been jumping a good few thou before it even got to the plugs. I didn't notice until I replaced the leads with 8mm silicone jobbies and decided to clean the inside of the cap whilst I was at it - she always purred like a cat and screamed like a banshee once she got on cam.
                Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

You have been "Too bad I'm selling it. (still thinking)" for quite a few years now

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                    hehe, my 1987 Maserati Biturbo SI has now been exempt from Emmisions testing, it's 20 years old now

FINALLY!

Too bad I'm selling it. (still thinking)

Maybe you should keep it.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

maybe I should keep it

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                        maybe I should keep it

How recent is that picture? If there's no rust or problems with it then it would be a shame to sell such a beauty. Trust me, you'll regret it once it's sold.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I'd keep it
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X