tgv sets new landspeed record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tgv sets new landspeed record

TGV has set a new landspeed record for railed vehicles, reaching 574.8 km/h.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Only the maglev train in Japan went faster...

By coincidence, I saw the live coverage on Antenne2. As can be expected, they had quite some difficulties keeping a connection with their reporter onboard the train.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

IMHO, this is the future of medium-distance travel. Just think of the benefits if, for example, there were a TGV line with, say, hourly services, joining Boston-NY-DC-Atlanta-Miami and another Seattle-Portland-SF-LA-SD. This would halve the air travel as city-centre to city-centre times would shorter for most passengers than air travel, if you count the time to get to and from airports, check-in time, inevitable delays.

When I lived near Lausanne, I often used the TGV to go to Paris (~500 km). >1 hour faster than going by air and 1st class was cheaper than cattle class in the aircraft, with ample room to relax, dine, work (even online) etc. Far less hassle.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hmmm...and Maglev is faster not that much.

Of course I imagine that top Maglev speed is closer to crusing speeds than this TGV record...

Comment

Doesn't count. It's French.

PS pretty cool.
        The single daily train that services OKC goes about an order of magnitude slower than that.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
          Hmmm...and Maglev is faster not that much.

Of course I imagine that top Maglev speed is closer to crusing speeds than this TGV record...
          Yup! I bet they had to replace the catenaries after that train passed! The normal top speed is ~300-325 km/h. Paris>Lyon, for ex., takes about 1 h 55 for ~520 km in practice.

Comment

The problem is, Brian, that short flights have become very very cheap (no taxes on kreosene IIRC), to the point where taking the train would cost me about twice to three times as much as the plane (I've never flown in recent years regardless; the destination never had an airport).
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yep.
              Not sure yet if I'll spend this Summer in UK (sorry... ), but if I'll do it's plane only, no questions...and I'm not sure how would I get to Netherlands (second choice...sorry again ), but basically it's a choice between semi-private transport and...plane.
              Last edited by Nowhere; 3 April 2007, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                The problem is, Brian, that short flights have become very very cheap (no taxes on kreosene IIRC), to the point where taking the train would cost me about twice to three times as much as the plane (I've never flown in recent years regardless; the destination never had an airport).
                You must be joking. ICE from Berlin HBF to Frankfurt HBF return ticket costs €185 1st class (internet price) and the CHEAPEST Air Berlin from Tegel to FRA is €249.33 including airport taxes, on a tiny cramped-up pedal plane.

Times, city-centre to city-centre ICE 4 h 7 min, air, HBF>Tegel 15 min, check-in + security 1 h 30, flight 1 h 15, disembarkation (bus trip round airport) 15 min, baggage 30 min, wait for taxi 10 min, taxi FRA>HBF 20 min, total 4 h 15 min

Comfort: ICE, superb, relaxed, plenty of leg room, choice of menus (cost extra) or self-service (extra), able to work. Air: quasi-zero, 2 bus rides round airports, long walk to collect baggage, no chance of doing serious work, free coffee/croissant on plane, if you're lucky.

There is no real choice, is there?

Comment

If we had bullet trains that's how I'd travel to Chicago, but then my Dad worked the DT&I railroad repair (RIP) track between growing seasons, which gave me a "thing" for trains.

This got us free/low cost train tickets and we used them often, especially for trips out west. Half the fun of those vacations was sightseeing through the Rocky Mountains etc.

Of course even more fun were the pay days when my Dad wasn't scheduled to work.

One of my Dad's best friends was an engineer who would let me ride along on the 45 mile freight run to Toledo, Ohio, where my dad would pick me up. I got to blow the whistle, use the throttle & the whole shebang; 12 year old heaven

Then Dad and I would stop at Tony Packo's Cafe for lunch

Yes, the same Tony Packo's Cafe Cpl. Klinger talked about on MASH.

Sorry for the trip to the Nostalgia Zone
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 April 2007, 01:45.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                    Perhaps so, but airtravel still has quite some hassle. Ever tried getting some work on a PC done on a flight that only takes an hour?
                    Plane:
                    - wait to check-in
                    - start up the laptop by the gate (but it isn't very comfortable)
                    - stop working, board the plane
                    - laptop not allowed during taxi + takeoff
                    - start laptop
                    - be bothered for lunch
                    - stop laptop (descent has started)
                    Train:
                    - get on the train
                    - start working (even if the train is still standing still)
                    - stop and get off the train

You don't have to count the time the trip takes, but the time it takes everything else required to make the trip. To illustrate, Air France is no longer offering flights from Brussels to Paris; you can still book this with Air France, but it is a Thalys train.

Personally, I still think there are issues with the current highspeed trains (Thalys, TGV and Eurostar); especially if one is travelling with luggage (I don't like to put my suitcase so close by the exit without being able to see it. Also, the destinations are limited, and many of the trajects are not yet run at the high speeds that should be possible (still in construction). Another issue is that one is more likely to be dependent on the local rail network (to get to a TGV/Thalys/Eurostar station), and those could be more reliable and offer better alternatives if things go wrong.

But other than those issues, I agree with Brian.

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      Personally, I still think there are issues with the current highspeed trains (Thalys, TGV and Eurostar); especially if one is travelling with luggage (I don't like to put my suitcase so close by the exit without being able to see it.
                      Agreed.
                      Also, the destinations are limited
                      Really? I can get from Amsterdam to, say, Dijon with just one transfer (within 7 hrs!). AFAIK, there is no airfield there at all.
                      and many of the trajects are not yet run at the high speeds that should be possible (still in construction)
                      True outside of France but getting better. We're scheduled to go high-speed on our part somehwer in 2008 (and that is just about 4 years later than planned).
                      Another issue is that one is more likely to be dependent on the local rail network (to get to a TGV/Thalys/Eurostar station)
                      Which is in fact a good thing considering you often need a car or cab to get to an airport (or to get to a trainsstation to get you to the airport).
                      , and those could be more reliable and offer better alternatives if things go wrong.
                      Not sure what you mean by this.
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                        You must be joking. ICE from Berlin HBF to Frankfurt HBF return ticket costs €185 1st class (internet price) and the CHEAPEST Air Berlin from Tegel to FRA is €249.33 including airport taxes, on a tiny cramped-up pedal plane.
                        I can only tell you that my girlfriend just paid for a flight with Sky Europe from Vienna to Amsterdam (and back) about 70€, everything included. She booked about 6 weeks in advance.

I checked the priced for train tickets before I came here - the cheapest connection would have cost me about 130€, and that would have included 2 changeovers, a 16 hour trip and not even a sleeping wagon (~180€). And that's only one way, and with a student rebate card...

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Yeah, hehe, but Austria does not have any high-speed trains, does it? I am betting getting from Vienna to your first stop in Germany took most of the time. Where in the Netherlands are you BTW?

Edit: Oops, I got it all wrong it appears...
                          Edit 2: Well, not _that wrong_: I think in Austria you do have ICE trains rtunning but at normal trains' speeds, no? Salzburg to Amsterdam is "only" 9.5 hours BTW
                          Last edited by Umfriend; 4 April 2007, 04:23.
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The luggage thing is a non-issue on the TGVs (can't remember for Thalys and have never used an ICE, Pendolino or Eurostar). On the TGVs, there are lockable chains, which you put through the handle(s) of your bags, on the luggage racks; you take the key with you for the duration of your trip.

Of course, you are not limited to the volume/weight/no. pieces on trains, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                              Yeah, hehe, but Austria does not have any high-speed trains, does it? I am betting getting from Vienna to your first stop in Germany took most of the time. Where in the Netherlands are you BTW?

Edit: Oops, I got it all wrong it appears...
                              joking, huh?

The ICE is connected to Vienna, but it is only allowed to go somewhat below 200 km/h (180, I think) - but we are only talking about 280km to Munich anyway...

"city of life sciences" - Wageningen.

mfg
                              wulfman
                              Last edited by Wulfman; 4 April 2007, 04:25.
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X