Samsung 226BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 226BW

I picked up a Samsung 226BW, 22" widescreen LCD this week, and man is it a beauty. I bought it for my new home office, but since that won't be needed for a couple of weeks, I hooked it up the night I got it. The next day my wife called an told me she was keeping it... which won't happen, but a different story.

Anyway, the thing I love about it most, beyond the 2 ms GTG response, 1680x1050 res, huge viewing area, etc. is the COLOR. I have used my old Samsung 191t and cheap-o Dell LCDs for so long I forgot what good color looks likes on a computer monitor. The 226BW can enable a 3000:1 dynamic contrast control, and with it on the colors on vibrant, and real, and amazing. I feel like I'm using a professional grade monitor again. I love it!

And only $350 off NewEgg.com.

Though Gurm pointed out one big gripe I have with it, namely that you cannot turn off streth. So unless you dink with the video card driver software to add letterboxes you are stuck with a strethed image no matter what you do. A minor annoyance though. Oh, and you can only see light bleeding when the screen is black, but it is very small compared to other monitors.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Yeah, this is said to be one of the best 22" screens on the market. I have been thinking about getting one myself.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cheapo Dell's? Which ones have you been using? I actually like the colors in my 2005fpw better than the 17" Samsung I used to have.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post

Though Gurm pointed out one big gripe I have with it, namely that you cannot turn off streth. So unless you dink with the video card driver software to add letterboxes you are stuck with a strethed image no matter what you do. A minor annoyance though. Oh, and you can only see light bleeding when the screen is black, but it is very small compared to other monitors.

Jammrock
        scaling?
        Attached Files
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

LLC - that's what he's talking about. Some monitors do that on their own. He'd rather NOT have to use that setting. Which doesn't always work well from my experience.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Jammrock - since its an samsung does it suffer from the magic bright curse (dubbles as an projector) ?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
              Jammrock - since its an samsung does it suffer from the magic bright curse (dubbles as an projector) ?

Depends on what contrast setting you use. The monitor has 6 built-in settings and one custom option. You can also turn off Magic Bright on this model. So ... you can have it bright, or dim, depending on your preference. But yes, when Magic Bright is on with Dynamic Contrast it can act as a projector, especially at night.

@ClayMonkey: Dell 196/7E. Not the ultrasharp line, I have never used those. Just saying the ones I have used were cheap-o.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Appreciate the clarification Jamm. I've used a lot of Dell monitors and I honestly can't recall the last time I saw one of their econo models.

Glad you're liking the Samsung though. I did like it. I just wanted more

Comment

The 226BW is the A-list 22" LCD in PCPro now
                  FT.

Comment

Just picked up mine this afternoon; initially after booting up my Windows with it, my Millennium G400 Max driver could only drive it at 1600 x 1280... I essentially got that ugly up/down-scaling thing fixed after I added in the 1680 x 1050 display mode using PowerStrip. Phew!

Comment

I've had mine for a while now. It's nice. Not perfect by any means, but quite nice
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X