Octo Core, by end of 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octo Core, by end of 2007?

My friend who seemed to have close ties with Intel, is saying that we will see Octo-Core CPU's by end of 2007.

They would first release the XEON Octo, and then the desktop version later on.

What do you guys think?

That number of cores will start to become the new "MHz myth"...

Comment

Sadly we've still haven't got a lot of software that can run on two cores let alone eight.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
        Sadly we've still haven't got a lot of software that can run on two cores let alone eight.
        Agreed. Plus, the laws of diminishing returns really starts to kick in here. From what I've seen so far, two cores is ample for today's desktop needs.

Comment

The next big revolution will be AMDs tech that allows two processors to act as one. Basically the SMP is built into the CPUs hardwiring, so the OS sees a single CPU, but when a single thread runs it uses two-cores in a highly efficient manner.

Though I haven't heard about the tech for a while so I don't if they are even doing it any more.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Perhaps they should concentrate in gettin gthe cores optimised further and a further reduction in power consumption. Otherwise it'll be back to square one with a power meter eating raidator doing digital press ups as you type.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

what I would like to see is each core with it's own memory bank and it's own path to that memory, unlike Intels shared pathways.

I think AMD has it made in that regard which is why AMD is still faster to a certain degree than any of Intels solution when it comes to heavy processing.

Comment

I know there is some distaste for hardocp here - but check this out - http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==
                Just remember, this is the computer world - an argument that was valid a few months ago is not always valid today.

Also, a little Intel update - http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38568
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

AMD is going to release an octo core based on the quad core "barcelona" they will be using the "glue 2 chips together" technique pioneered by intel.
                  However AMD already have ready built in HT links to link the CPU's together, AMD has stated they missed the boat a bit on that, as they could quite easily have done quad core a while back using the AMD64's HT links with the glue technique.

Memory wise I think AMD's technique will be to use to operate the memory controllers in half width mode so each cpu has its own memory path for its set 4 cores...or some variation of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X