Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet food poisoning part 2

UPDATE:

The Feds are hammering IAMS Eukanuba "Veterinary Diets Optimum Weight Control" and "Restricted-Calorie" dry and canned products for containing a chemical named chromium tripicolinate, which is only approved for pig food.

Its safety in dog/cat foods has NOT been established and foods containing it are deemed "adulterated".

Yes; this is also used in humans as a metabolism booster inder the name chromium picolinate, a 'nutritional supplement' available in most pharmacies & health food stores.

This is unrelated to the rat poison issue.

PETA and others are now asking the FDA to extend the recall to all of Menu's dry foods as well.

I don't usually lend PETA much credence, but in this case I have to concur.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

our two cats stopped eating soft food around the same time that the recall was announced. strangely enough we feed them Friskies which wasn't on the recall list.

hopefully they get this all sorted out before we have to start feeding them human food.
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Soft food has always been a treat for my cats. However, they were raised on Iams. First Kitten and then Adult styles. The exception to this is when I've been to poor to buy them anything other than the $2 uber-econo brand for a week until next payday. Nothing teaches you the need to budget like realizing your monetary f'ups hinder somone elses ability to eat. It's amazing how much more of the cheap stuff they have to eat though for the same amount of nutrition.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Now they've found melamine (C3H6N6), an ingredient in plastics, and an un-named dry food company may have used the same additives
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Now they've found melamine (C3H6N6), an ingredient in plastics, and an un-named dry food company may have used the same additives
          links?
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              In what form was the melamine? I would say that melamine compounds are very frequently found in food, including for humans, as most kitchen work surfaces and eating surfaces in fast-food restaurants etc are melamine laminates. In fact, it would surprise me if each and every one of us hasn't ingested a considerable quantity of melamine compounds.

The usual chemistry of such work surfaces (or impregnated wood surfaces) is a mixture of phenol formaldehyde and melamine formaldehyde. As MF is lighter in colour than PF, which is generally much more amber, the former predominates, especially in light-coloured decorative laminates (also, MF is less toxic than PF). The resins are formulated by astoichiometric reactions with an excess of phenol and melamine, most of which is removed. There is therefore raw melamine and phenol in the surfaces, in small quantities. This is done deliberately to reduce potential emissions of formaldehyde, which, like all aldehydes, is a chronic and dangerous toxin.

Toxicology: MF is not toxic. The acute oral toxicity of raw melamine is medium. The LD50 (lethal dose ingested by mouth which kills 50% of animals in 24 hours) in rodents is about 3000 mg/kg. It is not known whether this can be extrapolated to humans, as a) the metabolic paths are different and b) there is no known experience of acute melamine poisoning in humans. If the human LD50 is about the same, this would mean that a 70 kg human would require about 210 g (7½ oz) in a single dose for a 50% chance of a fatal outcome. The chronic respiratory toxicity is also low, mainly because it is solid at room and elevated temperatures, so it is unlikely that the vapour density would ever reach dangerous levels. It sublimes at temperatures exceeding 200°C. Prolonged cutaneous contact will cause transdermal absorption but would require massive doses to cause harm. However, there may be some slight evidence that chronic transdermal absorption may be carcinogenic or reprotoxic, but there is no epidemiological proof of this.

In summary: I doubt if there is anything to become alarmed about. Personally, I'd be far more concerned about free formaldehyde than free melamine or phenol in kitchen laminates.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Alpo Prime Cuts with gravy dog food just added to the list.

This is troubling as Alpo and Purina are stablemates in the Nestle company.

Full list of Nestle's pet foods;

Alpo, Come 'N Get It, Mighty Dog, Chef's Blend, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Kit 'N Kaboodle, Deli-Cat, and Nestlé Purina products such as Dog Chow, Pro Plan, Beneful and Purina One

Purina says only their Prime Cuts got Chinese sourced gluten, but at this point....

From the LA Times;

"There's little information in scientific literature on melamine exposure in dogs and cats, so it's very difficult to determine a level that would be harmful or lethal," Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said at a news conference.

Melamine, however, "should not be in pet food at any level," he added. He said the agency did not know how the melamine got into wheat gluten, an ingredient that is the focus of the FDA's investigation.
                The below study showed urinary problems in rodents which should make one cautious as regards dogs and cats, which remain unstudied. Bet they will be now.

5.3 Animal carcinogenicity data

Melamine has been studied for carcinogenicity in mice and rats of each sex by oral administration. It produced urinary bladder and ureteral carcinomas in male rats but only urinary bladder hyperplasia in male mice. The occurrence of urinary bladder tumours in male rats correlated strictly with calculus formation and exposure to high doses. The dose dependence was confirmed by subsequent studies in male rats in which concomitant administration of sodium chloride to increase urinary output resulted in a decreased tumour yield.

5.4 Other relevant data

There is no evidence that melamine undergoes biotransformation. The urinary bladder tumours seen in male rats exposed to high doses of melamine appear to be produced by a non-DNA-reactive mechanism involving epithelial hyperplasia secondary to the presence of melamine-containing bladder stones. Consequently, bladder tumours would not be expected in either rodents or humans except at doses that produce bladder calculi.

No data were available on the reproductive or developmental toxicity of melamine.

No data were available on the genetic and related effects of melamine in humans. It was not genotoxic in experimental systems.

5.5 Evaluation

There is inadequate evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of melamine.

There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of melamine under conditions in which it produces bladder calculi.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 April 2007, 06:43.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

keep digging, they are bound to find all sorts of questionable ingredients in animal and human food.
                  But we knew this already.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                  X