Dell confirms linux PCs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell confirms linux PCs!

Dell, oddly enough, is listening to the many thousands of direct requests its customers made during its big public brainstorm (aka IdeaStorm) not so far back. The result of nearly 70% of participants requesting Linux on Dell machines? Linux will soon be pre-installed on consumer desktops and laptops outside their server and Precision desktop lineup -- hoorah! What we're most curious about: when going to configure your system, how much money will one save by ducking out of the "Microsoft tax"? No word on when we'll get to find out what the magic number is, but we imagine the Linux rollover won't be immediate since Dell still has some serious work to do not only with the driver and software end of things to make future machines fully open-source, but also prepping and training its end-user support staff to get Linux-compatible, as it were.[Via PC World]

Comment

I was on their site today shopping for some new pcs here at work and they listed some of them as offered with RedHat.
      It's an Oklahoma government contract, not public.
      But there they were.
      Called my office mate over to show him.
      He's so hard core he has a penguin tattoo on his leg.

Now if we could just justify one...
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Now if they'd only offer a distro that's worth looking at.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          Now if they'd only offer a distro that's worth looking at.
          Ubuntu isn't worth looking at?

Comment

Bad idea can you imagine users calling the India helpdesk.

Linux will flumax the script monkeys within seconds.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They've offered Linux for a while now, we configured and ordered a few machines at least a couple months ago now.

And... in order for someone to offer a "decent distro" of Linux, there has to be such a thing.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                They've offered Linux for a while now, we configured and ordered a few machines at least a couple months ago now.

And... in order for someone to offer a "decent distro" of Linux, there has to be such a thing.

But at least you've got an idea what you're doing.

Had a conversation with a fellow technician the other day. They're running a 12 year old sparc station. The machine almost has had it so they were enquiring about upgrading it. They were told to copy the old os to a new machine. Just wouldn't work me thinks.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                  Bad idea can you imagine users calling the India helpdesk.

Linux will flumax the script monkeys within seconds.
                  Software support is "community support" on the linux desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                    But they were servers, not desktops, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
                      Ubuntu isn't worth looking at?
                      Wasn't aware they were pre-loading anything but RedHat. I stand corrected.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

But they were servers, not desktops, yes?
                        Nope. The day Vista hit, Dell pulled all availability for laptops with XP. So we started ordering laptops with Linux, and then an OEM copy of XP. (Works out about the same as getting the lappy with Vista!)

They pulled XP from all their home desktops as well, and from many of the business models except Optiplex and... err... one other.

*shrug*
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Software support is "community support" on the linux desktops.

Yes but do expect Joe six pack to really understand what they're on about after years of easy windows. Nope no chance.
                          You could argue that techie people would be the only ones to order them. But I've know people who don't know the left mouse button from the right who've considered using Linux because they've been told it's easy.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                            Yes but do expect Joe six pack to really understand what they're on about after years of easy windows. Nope no chance.
                            You could argue that techie people would be the only ones to order them. But I've know people who don't know the left mouse button from the right who've considered using Linux because they've been told it's easy.

Which is why I always get SO upset with Linux people who SWEAR that Linux is easy enough for ANYONE now. I tried to teach my 80-year-old grandmother how to use e-mail, and she pretty much got it, but it was under VISTA. I don't see how she could POSSIBLY learn Linux. Just no way in hell.

Comment

OTOH, IMHO, Windows also isn't easy enough for average "anyone"...they use it allright, but if something needs installing/changing (or breaks...)

Comment

Working...
                              X