Upgrades and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades and questions

Ok I'm thinking about upgrading my celeron 300a@464 to a P3-450, since the P3 prices are so cheap now and the new turboOGL has made it even more attractive then before. I don't have a clue to when my MAX will get here but I figure that if I get the P3-450 I'll have it sooner . My question is this...I know the that the P3-450 O/c well and I would be excatic if I can get it to run at 560 mhz or what not. The only thing is that my current system can't run my celery at 502 for a worth of shit. I think i might mess with the voltage setttings to see if that will help before I make the P3 purhcase.

My other question is I have a promise UtlraDMA/66 controller waiting to go into the computer (along with a new 56K PCI modem..damnit that MAX is holding up everything!) and I was wondering if there was any issuses with the Card using non-standard FSB settings as I would be using on a over clocked P3. I know that I wouldn't have any with the Celeron since its only running at 103 mhz now.

Thanks

Scott

------------------
    Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

The BX6R2 and the BE6 both support the 1/4 PCI (133 FSB runs PCI @ 33.336Mhz ), the AGP dividers are only 1/1 or 2/3 which gives a spritely 89Mhz AGP @ 133FSB...

Guyv
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Be careful with the Promise UDMA controller and a UDMA/66 HDD. Tony(a guy on this forum) and I have had audio problems when capturing video onto the UDMA/66 HDD. We have similiar systems, mainly SS7, so I'm not sure if you will get the problem. The way we fixed it was by downloading a UDMA mode program from our HD's manufacturar and turning off 66 so that the drive ran at 33. Using benchmark programs there is no loss in speed when running at 33 because the 66 is just a burst amt anyway.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I have the BX6r2, so I don't know, but maybe someone can tell me if the BH6 can turn the multiplier down to 1/4 for the PCI devices when you stick in the PIII and run it at 124 or 129mhz bus speed? If you can do that (you wont be able to see if you can with your celery in for some reason (well, I couldn't on my mobo)) you will have no problems with it.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 09-22-1999).]

Comment

Working...
        X