Suggestions for a system ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a system ?

I have a trouble... I NEED a new system because my old motherboard is dead, so I decided to buy a new PC! I will have soon a G400 MAX and I want the best hardware to match with this card! (I want to buy a AMD K6-3 but the problem is that there is not a LOT of motherboard for this type of processor). So I want a K6-3 450, but I'm sure that I won't be able to buy this type of CPU because I really need a new CPU and FAST!
    So maybe a PII - 400 ? (I DON'T WANT A PIII)

Anyway! I need to change my motherboard, cpu, ram and my Sound Blaster!
    And I'm running under Win95/98/Linux
    So I can't get a Diamond Monster MX300 or the SB Live!

Anyway give me all your advices!!!!!
    (And sorry for my english... i'm not very good)
    __ __ ____ ____ __ ____
    /\ \/\ \ /\ _\/\ _`\ /\ \__ /\__ \
    \ \ \_\ \ __ ___ ___\ \ \/\ \,\L\_\ \ ,_\ __ _ __\/_/\ \
    \ \ _ \ /'__`\ /' __` __`\ \ \ \/_\__ \\ \ \/ /'__`\/\`'__\ \ \ \
    \ \ \ \ \/\ \L\.\_/\ \/\ \/\ \ \ \_ /\ \L\ \ \ \_/\ __/\ \ \/ \_\ \
    \ \_\ \_\ \__/.\_\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \___\ `\____\ \__\ \____\\ \_\ /\___\
    \/_/\/_/\/__/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/\/_____/\/__/\/____/ \/_/ \/___/

Yeah I want a K7... But I can't wait! So I need to buy a cheap CPU but enough powerful(like a PII-400) to run a few games...
    So any new recommendations ?
    __ __ ____ ____ __ ____

Comment

I have a P2-400, and it is certainly fast enough to run any game out now with full detail at a good res. Even though there are faster CPUs out, game developers won't design games requiring them for a long while. Also, even though the Athlon looks good on paper and in WinBench, in games, an Athlon isn't that much faster than an equally clocked P3. For example, in the latest issue of PC Gamer they ran the Athlon head to head with a P3 in Quake 2. The Athlon only got 8 FPS more than a P3... not that big of a deal (120 vs. 128). Admittedly, it does rock in Q3. I would get a P2 and switch to a P3 at a later date. Check out the firingsquad for more info.
      -Jonathan Beilin
      Abit BX6R2, P2-400, 256MB SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19"

Comment

So, which motherboard I should use with a PII-400 and G400MAX ?
        __ __ ____ ____ __ ____

Comment

Asus P3B-F is probably your best bet.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

If your heart is set on amd k-6 III.I would go with the newest epox board -solid performer and udma 66 enabled Go to:
            http://www.lynncomp.com
            Good company!

Comment

Thanks guys!

So, i've just buy a PIII-450 (because there was no more PII-400) with 128 ram, sb512pci, Asus P3BF and of course a G400 MAX!

But now I have to get an adaptor for my keyboard! Because my keyboard is a 5pin instead of 6pin! :P

__ __ ____ ____ __ ____

Comment

I would recommend 192MB if it wouldn't cost that much nowadays. And believe me, you will see the difference.

_
                B

Comment

Sounds like a great system. Once you get it running fine, Id try to clock that P3-450. Look at Guyver's setup.. hes running his bus at 133 with a 450! Not that everyone gets that lucky with their chip, but the P3-450 just aches to be overclocked. Good Luck!

------------------
                  Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Sorry, but i really don't like the idea of overclocking! I know that a lot of people are having a lot of success with the overclocking, but i don't want to waste my money! I'm seeing overclocking like a way to accelerate the process of killing your CPU...
                    It sounds maybe funny but there is a bit of true in what i've said!

Anyways, does anybody know what the normal temperature for the PIII-450 not overclocked is ?
                    __ __ ____ ____ __ ____

Comment

Working...
                    X