X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Avatar..

The last air bender.
    Has anyone else seen this show?
    I've got my whole family hooked on it since I saw one random episode one night.
    It's well written, funny and has that "got to see that next epsiode" anticipation.
    I'm slowly recording the random showings of the show and we are trying to catch up and watch them in order.
    Thought I'd share.

It's been a favorite in our home since it first aired. Definitely a step-above the normal dumbed-down or coddling children's programming.

This is one of the first TV series (for children) that I've actually gone out and purchased the DVDs for. So far we just have season 1, but we shall be picking-up the rest.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Well, I mean once you get past the heavy-handed moralizing...
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, it is a nice cartoon!

To bad Nickelodeon has dubbed it in Dutch (no offence Umfriend, I just don't like dubbed things), and keeps repeating older episodes in seemingly random order.

Jorg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post

To bad Nickelodeon has dubbed it in Dutch (no offence Umfriend, I just don't like dubbed things), and keeps repeating older episodes in seemingly random order.
          Yes, AAARRRGGGHHH! It's like they WANT us to download pirated torrents of things!
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yes, very good somewhat original concept. Of course, it's nearly impossible to be completely original anymore, but they do a good job on spinning what has already been done to make it original like. Can't wait for the third season to start

@Gurm: You think every show is heavy-handed moralizing you...
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post

Jorg
              Oh, I am all in favor of original language + subtitle broadcasting. Usually. Now given that my almost 6 yr old can read a bit but by far not fast enough, I am pretty happy it's dubbed.

I don't like it at all BTW, the series.

VJ, AFAIK, there is at least one time where they broadcast in sequence and I think they're all in sequence but just the series running multiple times on different hours, as in, just pick one time to watch and you should be OK, not all of them.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                Oh, I am all in favor of original language + subtitle broadcasting. Usually. Now given that my almost 6 yr old can read a bit but by far not fast enough, I am pretty happy it's dubbed.
                Yes, of course, it makes sense that they dub it; esp. given their target audience.

VJ, AFAIK, there is at least one time where they broadcast in sequence and I think they're all in sequence but just the series running multiple times on different hours, as in, just pick one time to watch and you should be OK, not all of them.
                That is true for the first time they broadcast it: then there is indeed a set time where they broadcast it in sequence. But once they have broadcasted an entire series, they start repeating it at random. So at the moment, it indeed is fine for the 2nd book.

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                  Yes, very good somewhat original concept. Of course, it's nearly impossible to be completely original anymore, but they do a good job on spinning what has already been done to make it original like. Can't wait for the third season to start

@Gurm: You think every show is heavy-handed moralizing you...

Oh pshaw. Just last week Logan watched an episode with morals about not judging things by their appearances, Not being prideful, and the value of humility. All in the space of a half-hour! It's amazing that there was time for plot!

Now note, I didn't say I disliked it. In fact, I like it quite a bit. But it's pretty obvious that the writers have "valuable life lessons" to teach to children...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                    Oh pshaw. Just last week Logan watched an episode with morals about not judging things by their appearances, Not being prideful, and the value of humility. All in the space of a half-hour! It's amazing that there was time for plot!

Now note, I didn't say I disliked it. In fact, I like it quite a bit. But it's pretty obvious that the writers have "valuable life lessons" to teach to children...

Yes, but all "cartoons" have to have morals to get made. Hell, even Transformers and GI Joe have them (and knowing is half the battle). All of them but the silly comedies and adult ones have them. Especially when they are targeted to the 8-12 year old crowd like Avatar is. Which makes this more proof that all men's maturity is born on a leap year.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I read somewhere that the third season will start sometime in July.
                      At least I'm in good company with others watching the show.

@Gurm
                      at least the morals are not shoved down our throats like in some other kids cartoons.
                      Remember the smurfs when we were growing up. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoZ View Post
                        I read somewhere that the third season will start sometime in July.
                        At least I'm in good company with others watching the show.

@Gurm
                        at least the morals are not shoved down our throats like in some other kids cartoons.
                        Remember the smurfs when we were growing up. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

It's not always like that. I read a great piece by the guy who made the "Dungeons & Dragons" cartoon, and THAT piece of crap (although I remember it fondly) every week pushed a "bow to peer pressure" moral, so much so that he had to quit in disgust. Ick!

Comment

Working...
                        X