Sleeping mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping mat

Ever since returning from Vietnam a year and a half ago I decided that when get an apartment I'd try doing what I did while in Vietnam for a bed: roll out bamboo mat and put a thin cushion on top. I thought this would be as easy as finding a bamboo mat and cushion.

After spending half the day googling around all I've come up with is the Japanese shiki futon. All those cost several hundred dollars though... if I have to spend that much I'd just move my bed.

Anyone have ideas of where I can buy what I want? I don't think it should cost that much because my desire is to have something easily stored and portable -- which means it wouldn't contain much material. I don't want to use an air mattress or camping sleeping pad.

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Welcome back to the USA. Buy a sleep number bed.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

lol!
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Actually funny thing was that the first way I was going to write that message was a lot more disgruntled, but I was doing a few things at once and by the time I got to writing it I went the more calm route.

It was going to start like this:

WTF!?! Is everyone in the western world to pussy to sleep without a giant ass mattress under them? It's a goddamn pain to move a mattress everywhere -- and I've done this several times for OTHER people. Why is it so hard to find one of the simplest pieces of "furniture" that is available in every non-1st world country!?!
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

What about camping supplies you can get so thin camping mattress there.

I have had custom camping matress made to fit from foam and rubber suppliers as well.

As to the bambo mat, you could check out cheap some bambo venetian blinds

Comment

As a man whose been sleeping on a couch and futons for three months I can easily say that a bed is WELL worth moving around and I miss mine a great deal.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

depends what your used to, I used a futon here for years, I only recently bought a bed, and not so much for the matteress - although that was a large part of it.
              Just because I was tired of dragging myself off the floor in the mornings.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                Just because I was tired of dragging myself off the floor in the mornings.
                That's not the first reason to come to mind
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

When I was slimmer, I had no problems at all sleeping on the carpet. In fact, some nights I preferred to.

And hard wooden floor is no problem at all. Be a gentleman, buy the lady kneepads.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I found a local place that sells the shiki futons at a reasonable price. Also I believe my other option is a nice mattress pad/topper in a nice cover over a nice bamboo/grass mat.

Realistically I just wanted to try it for a while. I live close enough to my parents that I can move a bed at any time I want.

Who says she'd come over to my place =P

Comment

Working...
                    X