Paddy the carpenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddy the carpenter

I am in the process of decorating our downstairs toilet. It is a small room under the stairs.
    I have replaced the sink with a corner sink. The correct thing to do would be to move the plumbing inside the cavity wall, but that is too big a job for such a small room. In any case Andrea want's an 'undersink unit' so i can easily incorporate the plumbing in that as the sink has only moved a foot. I have already tiled and placed batons for the wall. The sink will be mounted to the wall, but one of them is an interior wall and i would feel more comfortable if there was aditional support for the sink.

I had an idea that I would 'rest' the sink on the unit, sharing the load. This results in two problems. Firstly they dont make trees wide enough, so I need to find some way to join planks togeather to make a sheet. Secondly, after making a template to recess the sink I have realised that the top will look like a toilet seat I am worried that the my joins won't be strong enough as the top will be down to 60mm in parts.

I have got some marine ply and have come up with a second option. I can create a 'V' shape out of ply to mount the sink and bear the weight and then place a plank of wood infront. In theory only the wood willl be visible, and I can always stain the ply to match...

I am fairly crap with wood, but am always willing to try

any thoughts?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

any pictures of what you are working with ?

Comment

I'll see what I can do...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hey Paddy

As you know my cloakroom has a small corner sink, which is on two interior walls. I just had a quick look and it appears to be held just by a pair of small metal brackets maybe 2" wide that have 3 screws going through them in to the wall. They don't appear to go into a stud but I can't really tell. I guess they must.

If you have a sink not directly attached to the wall then it needs supporting all round. Any wood will need supporting underneath, so you probably need to transfer that load to the floor in some way, but for a corner sink it might look a little odd.

Don't be afraid of a little plastering, especially if it is going to be hidden. You could open up the wall, move your pipes and install a batton to take the weight of the sink, and then just nail a peice of plaster board in place and skim the edges. Once you've opened up the wall to find what you are dealing with and got all the bits it should be a fairly quick job. You don't even need to use copper fittings for the plumbing anymore - the plastic quick-fit stuff works great, just cut to length and push-fit.
        FT.

Comment

Working...
        X