Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle Doctrine II

More states approving deadly force to protect ones home;

Texas: passed House 133-13, Senate 30-0 & sent to Gov. Perry for his expected signature.

North Dakota: passed House 50-44, awaiting Senate action.

22 States + North Dakota and counting.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

NRA must be creaming their pants
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yup; but they're just representing their membership which is increasingly more and more female. Just ask my wife, daughter & 76 year old mother in law; they're all NRA members & have concealed carry licenses. Women are by far the fastest growing group of gun owners & NRA members.

It's also no longer a Republican or conservative issue as other groups join in with them and independents. Several of the states on the list are solidly Democratic.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 March 2007, 14:34.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Nice to hear that the NRA is not gender discriminating
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Never has been, but in recent years women have realized that given police response times expecting them to rescue you isn't a practical self preservation strategy.

Take this from someone with a long family history in law enforcement; all the police usually do is pick up the pieces, so defrnding ones self becomes a personal responsibility.

These new laws give the individual the legal framework to do so.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My home state used to - assume it still does - have a law stating that you were allowed to use 'reasonable force' in defending yourself, be in your home or out.

Reasonable force was loosly defined as 1 notch above the person comming at you.
            they are comming with fists, bat to the side of the head, they have a knife, smoking hole where their lungs used to be.

The other unwritten rule was, dead men tell no tales.
            Not so many home invasions in my home state
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Much of this came from state laws that had a "duty to retreat", meaning you had to try and escape before gaining the legal right to counterattack. If you immediately counterattacked you could be charged with a felony.

As for home invasions you had to be able to show intent that the invader meant you harm. Hard to establish at 3 AM in the dark

Needless to say over the years people got tired of this kind of BS and the concealed carry & castle doctrine laws started getting passed.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ahh see, at 3am in the dark, all you needed to say back home was - 'I could have sworn there was a knife in his hand'
                I missed the quote before, the key phrase to utter unto the police was 'I feared for my life', this duty of retreat thing concerns me, in my own damn home there is no place to retreat to
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

In the house we have a combined early warning system and first line of defense - Spike, a 115 lb rottweiler/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix;

If they survive him they get to "meet my leeetle friend": a 12ga auto shotgun loaded with magnum 00 buckshot loads.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

@Sasq - in some places that is all you need. However, others make it quite hard to justify deadly force.

So, when you wind up plugging a guy who has connections somewhere and you wind up on trial, you get ****ed in the ass for defending your home. kind of a shitty proposition.

Even criminals have rights these days, don'tcha know?
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                    X