I'm surrendering my dog, Kona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm surrendering my dog, Kona

I'm pretty sad about this. With my 9 month old daughter getting around quite easily now, it's only a matter of time before my dog decides she is stepping into his space. I could never forgive myself if my dog bit my daughter or worse, caused a permanent injury. So now he is only allowed in the house at night after she sleeps. Otherwise he is outside(which he loves anyway).

I've been extremely reluctant to give him to someone for fear they would mistreat him or take him to a shelter only to find out they put him down, but somebody finally pointed me to a local shelter that has a no kill policy. Their goal is to find a home for him and they have a strict adoption process, so here is to hoping that Kona gets a nice new home.

As any person that has had a dog knows, they become part of your family and I have had him for 7 years now. I will miss him

Pictures
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Has the dog actually made any threatening moves toward your child? Is it of a breed that you believe may behave aggressively? You'd be surprised how quickly a dog can adapt and display a protective attitude toward a new child. You just have to train the dog to understand that the newcomer is YOURS and not his. But you also have to remind the dog that HE is YOURS. As long as you can maintain a dominant relationship with the dog, there should be no trouble.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
      Has the dog actually made any threatening moves toward your child?
      Yes

Is it of a breed that you believe may behave aggressively?
      Yes, we think he has some pitbull in him, but no one knows for sure.

You'd be surprised how quickly a dog can adapt and display a protective attitude toward a new child. You just have to train the dog to understand that the newcomer is YOURS and not his. But you also have to remind the dog that HE is YOURS. As long as you can maintain a dominant relationship with the dog, there should be no trouble.

Kevin
      I totally understand all of that and Kona does protect her and he knows I'm the boss and he knows to stay out of her room, and I could go on but the point is, even after all of this, if you touch his bone or get in his space, there is a good chance he will attack you(except me and my wife and son who is 17). He is also an Alpha dog, he will fight any dog for any reason except for our little Maltese/Yorkshire terrier mix. He loves cats though We have two cats and he gets alogn with them and plays with them all the time.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

So sad! Most dogs are protective towards the children of the family, sometimes even to the extent that they allow only the mother to pick up the child! No criticism implied, but it's a pity the dog doesn't treat you as the alpha male. Ours thought he was, even as a puppy. Now he knows he is subordinate and this was not achieved by chastisement but by example. As I type this, he is lying quietly at my feet. Yes, I've been bitten in the early stages. Today, if I displease him and he starts to growl, all I do is to turn my back on him which gives him the message of no discussion. Within 5 minutes, he comes up to me and licks my hand to apologise for his bad behaviour, then spontaneously rolls on his back in submission.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Having to lose a family member for another is always sad. Happens due to alergies too sometimes.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Sorry the hear, Dave .
            Just the breed of dog, I assume. Our dog (Chocolate Lab) was extremely protective of our children. Not only protective, but very tolerant. The children would poke and prod her and she would just hide under the coffe table until they left her alone.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

hey man, that really sucks. but it sounds like the right thing to do.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Ever seen the show 'Dog Whisperer' on the national geographic channel?
                The guy is amazing... he shows people how to totally change the behavior of their dogs.

Comment

I hope Kona finds a nice home with loving people that will take good care of him.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Too bad; losing a dog really sucks, but the kid comes first.

Fortunately Spike was extremely protective of Erik; he too would sleep under his crib & "filter" access. Today they're still the best of pals;

Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sad indeed. Obviously some breeds of dog are better with children than others. Some mixed breeds are especially bad. My friend Steve's Gordon Retriever Jasper was six or seven years old when his son Shane was born. That dog became the boy's bodyguard. No stranger dared come anywhere near the baby unless Steve or Jill was RIGHT THERE. I was the only non-family member he trusted, and that was only because he's known me virtually since he was a pup. Today Shane is seven and Jasper is about thirteen and slowing down from arthritis, but he still gets his hackles up if anyone gets too close to the kid.

Kevin

Comment

Sorry to hear that Dave.
                        Very tough, but the right thing to do.

We went through something similar with ChooChoo and our younger dog Rory.
                        She was older (4) though.
                        He had to live outside for about a year, which he hated.
                        She had the job of feeding him in the evening, which she still does.
                        Now they are best buds, and he obeys her better than he does us.
                        I still won't leave them outside together unattended, probably never will.

I had a weimaraner that wouldn't let me have any friends that were taller than me when I was 4-5.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Sorry for your loss mate. I have seen dogs that have been completley benign up until the point they take a chunk out of a baby. As hard as it is, I feel it is the right call.

Good luck.
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

since we treat our pets like our children, they naturally will behave like children. show me a child that doesn't feel jealous at a new sibling.

you've made a good decision.
                            /meow
                            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                            Asus Striker ][
                            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat View Post
                              show me a child that doesn't feel jealous at a new sibling.
                              I just did but with a dog. You couldn't look cross at Erik without Spike inserting himself in the middle. To this day when Sabrina or Chris bring over the grandkids he'll block the door off so they can't take home "his kids"

If anyone has to watch themselves it's grownups who Spike perceives as a danger to the kids. IOW he's a 115 lb four-legged second mother.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 March 2007, 15:13.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X