Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking II 4.5 GB.Worth it or not?

Greetingz guys.
    After considering using U2W SCSI HDDs I though about buying the Quantum Viking II 4.5GB.It's not a top performance drive but I can't yet spend a lot of money.Is it though worth buying this drive ? I'm not worried about it's capacity cause I aint gonna need much more but what about its performance ???

------------------
    -=Jimmy=-
    -=Jimmy=-

Hi

I have a 9GB Viking II U2W. I'm very pleased with it's porfomance. Sure, it's not the fastest kid on the block no more, but it does get the job done.

I would not advice against it.

Ghydda
    As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
    My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
    |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Is a fan needed to cool the drive down in these cases.As I know these SCSI drivers can heat up pretty fast.Would a cooling facility help the drive work better and longer?

BTW is the speed and reliability advantage worth buying it and the controller compared to a standard UDMA 66 drive?

Thanx.

------------------
      -=Jimmy=-
      -=Jimmy=-

Comment

Jimmy, you are going to waste your money. Get Quantum Fireball KA+ 18.2GB instead. It's going to be much faster since it has much higher platter density and also spins at 7400rpm. Latest UDMA drives are as fast or faster than U2W drives!

------------------
        P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

We try to avoid Quantum drives here. Noisy and hot as hell.

Just my opinion (and neighbor's experience).

Wombat
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you already have a scsi card or a mobo with scsi built in,go scsi.However,if you don't,consider the newer ide hard drives with 7,200 rpm, as they rival scsi performance and are considerably cheaper.Currently using Quantum 9.1+ka and system boost is tremendous!
            p.s. my Quantum runs quiet and cool,however a fan is not a bad idea,especially the type which doubles as a system fan!So,check out all possibilities ie.benchmarks,etc.and perhaps you'll come to the same conclusion as I did.
            The newer faster ide hard drives,are indeed, scsi rivals at 1/2 the cost and hastle!

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 09-19-1999).]

Comment

I'm not inrested in capacity.I've been doing with 1.2GB for more than a year now and I couldn't imagine how I could use 18GB especially since I have a CDRW.I therefore believe it's better to sacrifice the 14GB of added space for the better performance and reliability of the U2W SCSI HDD.

------------------
              -=Jimmy=-
              -=Jimmy=-

Comment

The the Fireball KA series are certainly fast, they'd be faster than the Viking II, but the current generation of SCSI drives like the 7200rpm Atlas IV are still much faster than IDE. The >=10k rpm drives leave IDE in the dust, so to speak. Looking at the GXP series IDE drives from IBM recently, which many considered the fastest IDE drives until the Fireball KA came along, I was surprised that the access times are 8ms, even an elderly SCSI drive could scrape up an access time lower than that.

Not to mention the other benefits of SCSI, besides speed...

Comment

Working...
                X