Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitizing the cd collection ... ?

heya,

i'm planning to digitize my cd collection, converting the original cd's to mp3 format and storing them on the harddisk. The plan is simple: insert the CD into the computer's cd player and getting title and track and other information from cddb.

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of software out on the market, that claim to be very good with that, so here's the question if anyone did that before and can give me a recommendation of a good software:

The software should be able to:

- creating mp3's
    - automatically insert the ID tags
    - create a list of the CD's (sortable by different criteria, output in different formats like xml, excel, html, ...)
    - any other cool stuff i don't think about

Googling gives you a lot of programs like CD Catalog Expert, OrangeCD, Music Catalogue Master, .....

So anyone with a good link?

R.
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

I use the following combination:
    EAC: freeware to rip the CD to WAV
    Lame: to encode to MP3

EAC fetches title/track information from freedb (I use it offline), calls Lame which writes the id tags.

The list isn't automatically created though... But such a list could be created either from a "dir" command and imported into excel, or perhaps from MP3 playback software. Most players allow also for extensive search capabilities.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Second EAC+LAME. If you want lossless you can go EAC + FLAC.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Or there's always MP11

/me ducks!
        FT.

Comment

EAC + LAME to rip (mpex.net has some hints how to configure it for best results), musicbrainz picard to tag properly, completely and automatically, then mp3tag to straighten out the tags and filenames to fit your preferences (does batch operation).

There are tools that fetch CD covers automatically from amazon, I don't have links or names handy for them, though.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post

So anyone with a good link?

R.

Comment

Especially, for a start: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

(second EAC + LAME; BTW, saying this upfront (it's on the wiki/hydrogenaudio for sure...): use not some manual settings, but LAME presets (joint stereo and VBR are a very good thing...unless your portable audio player has problems with them (unlikely at this point in time))

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                Second EAC+LAME. If you want lossless you can go EAC + FLAC.
                I'm trying to find the time to go with FLAC.

This past month I've setup a small but nice Headphone system.

For Headphones I got the Beyer DT880 and Sennheiser HD580 which I've modded with the HD650 cable and HD600 grills. I just got my Meier's Corda Opera Amp.
                http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/opera.htm

For converting optical to coax I'm using a Monarchy DIP Upsampler.
                http://www.monarchyaudio.com/microwise/upsampler.html

For sources I found a new in the Box iRiver H-120 with the Optical line out feature and a Denon CD player.

So, I still have to install EAC and FLAC and then RockBox the H-120 to play FLAC files.

I also have a couple nice Portable options with a Sansa e270 and Gigabeat S60. The portable amps I'm using are from Xenos. I have the OHA-REP with the OPA2228/LMH6654
                upgrade to carry and the 1HA-EPC for work.
                http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/xenos-prod-list.html
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I stick with DBPowerAmp Music Converter and convert to Ogg/Vorbis. To me MP3 sounds terrible compared to OGG/Vorbis and Windows Media. It really depends on how good your hearing is.

Comment

Windows Media Player.
                    Encodes MP3/WMA, both sound excellent
                    Inserts ID tags, EXCELLENT organization within the player, etc etc
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

German Engineering in teh Haus!!!!!

Had to post the pictures........This amp is as nice to look at as to listen.
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                      X