Recommendations for a colour printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a colour printer

My uncle is looking for a new inkjet printer. He's narrowed it down to either the Epson Stylus 900, or the HP DeskJet 2000C.

From what I can tell, the HP is cheaper to run, due to it's four separate ink tanks, and a separate replaceable print head. It's quality is good as long as you print text on coated paper and graphics on plain paper. They say that even though it only does 600x600, it uses much smaller dots, so the colour blending is better.

The Epson has the 4 separate ink tanks, but it has a permanent print head. It's quality is only good if you print everything on coated paper. It does 1440x720, but with much bigger dots than the HP.

Any suggestions on which one I should recommend? Feel free to add other manufacturers to the list, as long as they're in a similar price range.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

We have a couple of HP2000's at work, and they are very nice printers. The color on them is fanatastic. They are a little slow when printing at the highest quality settings, but it is worth the wait.
    P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Thanks for the input. We've got all HP laserjets at work (mostly HP4000 for B&W, HP4500 for colour), so I was leaning towards the HP anyway. Has anyone used the epson, or both even?
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have used both, the Epson's are better IMO. The HP's have some problems with their plastic Gear drives on their color printers, and the cost to repair them are kinda high. The Epson looks much cleaner in print to my eyes. Note: I am currently using an HP, and it suits me fine.

Rags

------------------
        FedEx Sucks!

Comment

I've used a wide range of HP printers and they always seem to suprise me by their print quality. I've only used a few Epson printers and I've had problems with them. The ink cartridges for HP seem to last longer but they cost a few bucks more.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I've used both HP and Epson and prefer the Epson. I have an Epson 1520 at home so I can print up to 17"x22". The cheapest place I've found for paper and ink is buy.com

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I've owned both and my vote goes to the Epson for quality of output. HP has never been able to produce drivers which can produce as good a photo output as the Epson.
              Contrary to what some people say, the Epson is quite capable of good output on plain paper, although for full page photo work you will still need the photo quality paper. I keep three different quality papers on hand and change according to the type of print job I'm doing.

------------------
              BX6r2, 128MB PC100, C300A@464, Pan DVDwHollywood+,Pan 4X SCSI CDR, WangDAT, Quantam UDMA HDs, Fireport 40 UW, SBLive!Value (attached to bi-amped TEAC/Hitachi multimedia system), SMC Intel 21041 NIC, etc. G200 Mystique as well.

Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
              Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
              #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
              #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
              etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

I own 2 Epson's and just got an HP, print quality about the same, maybe Epson edging HP but prefer HP, the 2 Epson's have always been noisy from day 1.

Derek
                Wishing for snow, want to go skiing so bad its killing me.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. He's actually gone and picked out a new model. The HP 970Cse. It's not quite as fancy as the 2000C, but it has duplex (two sided) printing built in, and has USB support. It has a much smaller footprint too.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X