Receiving Unwanted File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving Unwanted File

Since some time ago I have notice that I am regularly receiving a file concerning satellite
    reception. The file is quite harmless and I have scaned my HDDs for viruses and appear to
    be clean.
    I uploaded a previously saved clean image of my C drive, thinking that it would clear any
    connection, but it did'nt.
    My question is; is there a way of knowing the source of this file ?
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

What do you mean, you "receive" this file? Via e-mail?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

...try taking a peek inside with a hex editor and see what you see..

cc

Comment

@az The file is uploaded to the root directory "C"

@Chucky Cheese, That's the first thing I did but could'nt find anyting that could lead
        to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
          @az The file is uploaded to the root directory "C"

@
          What do you mean by "uploaded"? From where? What is the name of the file? Have you googled the file name? Please give more info.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

...put a network sniffer on your connection

cc

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
              What do you mean by "uploaded"? From where? What is the name of the file? Have you googled the file name? Please give more info.
              I mean that the file is comming via internet and posted in the "C" root directory.

From where ? That's what I would like to find out.

The name of the file is softcam.bin. Softcam.bin is a standard file for satellite reception that replaces a hardware cam.

If I google that name I would probably hit a few but it would'nt mean anything.

I suspect that I must have visited a site for information and pressed on a download button.
              Now only God knows which site it was.

Comment

How do you know it's coming from the internet? I actually doubt that - if this is the case, you have a bigger problem than just this file, because nobody should be able to just write to C from remote.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                  How do you know it's coming from the internet? I actually doubt that - if this is the case, you have a bigger problem than just this file, because nobody should be able to just write to C from remote.
                  Where else could it come from This is not a rhetorical
                  question. I'm really asking.
                  I have no application that can produce that file.
                  Last edited by Debbie; 19 March 2007, 02:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                    I have no application that can produce that file.
                    Are you sure?

OK, the clean image might indicate that (if it didn't happen at the time you made the image), but then again, the clean image would also lead one to think your PC wouldn't be vulnerable to remote attacks.

You most likely have some kind of software on your system (or on Autostart of a CD, or on a USB stick, or whatever) that creates that file - the question is what kind of software this is. Is it just some of your programs and you didn't notice before or it changed its behaviour with a patch, or is it malware? I don't think it is the latter, because this would be too obvious of a hint to its existence, which malware programmers don't want, and I can't see the benefit.

Can you post the file here?

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                      Are you sure?

OK, the clean image might indicate that (if it didn't happen at the time you made the image), but then again, the clean image would also lead one to think your PC wouldn't be vulnerable to remote attacks.

You most likely have some kind of software on your system (or on Autostart of a CD, or on a USB stick, or whatever) that creates that file - the question is what kind of software this is. Is it just some of your programs and you didn't notice before or it changed its behaviour with a patch, or is it malware? I don't think it is the latter, because this would be too obvious of a hint to its existence, which malware programmers don't want, and I can't see the benefit.

Can you post the file here?
                      No CD's. No removable drives.
                      I have placed a dummy file in C:\ , with the same name and type (0 bytes)
                      I want to see if it will be overwritten. I'll give it some time and see what happens.
                      Later I shall post a file here.

Thanks for now.
                      Last edited by Debbie; 19 March 2007, 03:15.

Comment

Is some kind of TV/Satellite receiver card connected to your PC?
                        After googling a little bit it seems that this file is used for being uploaded to SAT receiver.
                        Do you own a digital receiver like DBox?
                        It is possible that a connected receiver loads that file to your PC as a backup .
                        ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Or that it's some kind of temp cache file for satellite uploads. It's probably normal. I suspect that you don't get it until you install the drivers for your satellite card!
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Found out what is happening. The file is being created by my receiver and placed in root
                            of C via RS 232 cable when I update the receiver's firmware.

Thank you all for your help.
                            Last edited by Debbie; 20 March 2007, 13:02.

Comment

That's what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X