100$ Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100$ Laptop

Theres a 7 page review (with PCB pics etc) about the 100$ Laptop in German computer magazine c't. If anyone is interested in some facts, scans, etc. just ask.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Any word in there about availability of customized version on retail market?

Comment

A while back they wanted to release a consumer version for a couple hundred, but the last I heard is that they won't be doing it for a while with all the orders they have from various countries.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

srinravi writes "ArsTechnica reports that Quanta, the company manufacturing the XO laptops, has plans to begin selling low-cost budget mobile computers for $200 later this year. 'According to Quanta president Michael Wang, the company plans to leverage the underlying technologies associated with OLP...

It seems that some derivative of 100$ laptop (I imagine: a bit larger/with larger keyboard, eventually more flash or RAM and with better battery) will be available this year...I might not buy Macbook afterall.

Comment

Oh, forgot about this thread. Like the ./ news post, the c't article stated that the OLPC will not be available to individuals. It costs about 150 USD to build, which includes 10 USD profit for the firms involved. I doubt a 200 USD retail version could be built with any significant profit margin.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Got back from BarCampPortland today and I was able to see first hand several prototype OLPCs. The OSDL guys were there with the prototypes they got for development testing.

It's pretty cool first hand. The prototypes were slow but that's expected. The programmers complained about the smallish keyboard, but as I pointed out the keyboard isn't designed for their hands and they agreed.

They said at first the interface was jarring because, as power users, we expect to be able to do what we want, but after a short time they really got used to it and liked it quite a bit.

The mesh network is amazing. It's throttled down for distance at the cost of speed. When they went out to Australia they were getting a 2 mile range! Each user only has a set of books on their laptop, but in the mesh they have access to everyone else's books. Since the idea is that an entire community would get the laptops they'd always have all books available without requiring each laptop to carry the entir suite.

The display is pretty damn nice too. You can turn off the backlight to not only save power but also make it readable in direct sunlight.

I'm thoroughly impressed and hope the best for the project.

Comment

Working...
              X