60 Million Containers of Pet Food Recalled After Dog and Cat Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Million Containers of Pet Food Recalled After Dog and Cat Deaths

UNION, N.J. — Pet owners were worried Saturday that the pet food in their cupboard may be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.
    Menu Foods, the Ontario-based company that produced the pet food, said Saturday it was recalling dog food sold under 46 brands and cat food sold under 37 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico by major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.
    An unknown number of cats and dogs had suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said.
    Many stores that sold the affected brands frantically pulled packages off shelves.
    At a Petsmart store in Union, Silviene Grzybowski became worried when the four types of Iams products she buys for her cat, Smokey, had vanished from shelves. The cat was very sick and had not been eating for days, she said.
    press release: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Pres...l_03162007.pdf

affected Cat and Dog products:

/meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

AFAIK they are the sole supplier for all brands or something like that...

And I wonder how many "modern" pet owners can't actually make "traditional" meal for their pets...

Comment

In case you were wondering what goes in this dog and cat food.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

Note - If dog or cat food contains any corn or wheat flour/by products ...Don'y buy it.

This is what I've been feeding our dogs for the past year. They are much healthier after getting off the regular commercial brands.
      http://www.canidae.com/
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
        This is what I've been feeding our dogs for the past year. They are much healthier after getting off the regular commercial brands.
        Ditto.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
          In case you were wondering what goes in this dog and cat food.

Note - If dog or cat food contains any corn or wheat flour/by products ...Don'y buy it.

wow, that article is a huge eye opener. Makes you wonder what goes into human food
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

mechanically deboned meat is the closest you can get to dog food for humans as far as I know :|

though as disguisting as the dogfood sounds, are dogs not scavengers in nature, not thinking twice about eating half rotten worm infested meat?.. I know if my dog finds a dead mouse/squirrel, all training goes out the window and it is impossible to get it away from him
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

That's just too gross, and to think you are doing your best for your pet.

Comment

I had one friend lose a cat to this, and another friend's dog got sick, but they switched foods before he died - they're testing now to see how bad the damage is.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That sucks Hope is dog makes it through.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I feed my cat Science Diet. I've never really looked into it but yikes! I'll try switching to Canidae next time I have to buy food for her.
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

maybe a good time to buy stock in one of these all natural pet food companies
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Rat poison found in the contaminated food

Comment

Working...
                        X