R600 - respun and shrunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 - respun and shrunk

Seems we will never have to see the power hog 80nm part they were threatening to release

This drastically reduces power consumption and lets AMD clock the R600 to 1GHz or even more. The mass production R600 will be made on a 65 nanometre process.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

I hope this is true because I really didn't want to have to buy a power plant to run this card(assuming I buy it).
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I wish they would just give you an external powersupply, instead of relying on your Computers...
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
        I wish they would just give you an external powersupply, instead of relying on your Computers...

3dfx's last card did that. It obviously didn't go over too well.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wouldn't want an external power supply. I already have way too many devices that I have to plug in.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Jamm, 3Dfx was already well on their way out when they made that card. They held on to GLide, and 16-bit color, for far, far too long, while the other video companies advanced the technologies.

Hele: An external power supply like that would mean better power feeds, and less heat, for your PC.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
              I wouldn't want an external power supply. I already have way too many devices that I have to plug in.
              I'm with Helvetia on this one.
              2xComputer, 2xmonitor, printer, router, adsl 'modem', speakers, cordless mouse & keyboard, desk lamp..

That's 10 electricity plugs, do I -really- want to add another to this mess, NO THANKS!
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                I'm with Helvetia on this one.
                2xComputer, 2xmonitor, printer, router, adsl 'modem', speakers, cordless mouse & keyboard, desk lamp..

That's 10 electricity plugs, do I -really- want to add another to this mess, NO THANKS!
                So you rather have go out and spend $100 bucks on a good 600 W + power supply instead? Just for a Video card?

The power requirements for Video cards are getting out of hand and I much rather see the power come from some place else then it forcing me to upgrade my 500W PS so I can run a friggen video card.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Egad
                  4 x computer
                  3 x monitor
                  3 x speaker
                  2 x ups
                  2 x printer
                  2 x plug block
                  1 x handheld
                  1 x dsl modem
                  1 x router
                  ----
                  19 x power plugs

all on or under 1 x desk
                  not sure I'd notice another three
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
                    So you rather have go out and spend $100 bucks on a good 600 W + power supply instead? Just for a Video card?

The power requirements for Video cards are getting out of hand and I much rather see the power come from some place else then it forcing me to upgrade my 500W PS so I can run a friggen video card.
                    It's all relative. I've had my 420W PS for ages(probably more than 5 years). So when the Athlons first came out and required 300W PS I was already set. A lot of people had to upgrade. So I figure I'll buy a 850 or 1000W PS and be good for another 5 years (or less it looks like). It's no different than focring you to upgrade yoru memeory, CPU, mobo, HDD, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                      Egad
                      4 x computer
                      3 x monitor
                      3 x speaker
                      2 x ups
                      2 x printer
                      2 x plug block
                      1 x handheld
                      1 x dsl modem
                      1 x router
                      ----
                      19 x power plugs

all on or under 1 x desk
                      not sure I'd notice another three
                      Damn, I think you got me beat, let's see....

1 computer
                      2 monitors
                      1 speaker
                      1 Wireless K/B with recharging station
                      1 Wireless Mosue with recharging station
                      1 NAS
                      1 Switch
                      1 Wireless router
                      2 USB external HDD's
                      1 VCR(for converting VHS to DVD)
                      1 POD XT Live(Recording device for musical equipment)
                      1 cable modem
                      1 printer
                      1 scanner

...and a partridge in a pear tree

So that makes 16. You got me beat by three. I do have other things plugged into other outlets in the same room 2 amps(bass and guitar amp)

That still leaves me 1 shy of your setup

Comment

External PSU usually means its already using pretty much as much power as it can from the computer's PSU. Also, extra hardware (external PSU) means you are paying more for the card. There is no upside to external PSU.
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                        X