1,000 Lumen LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,000 Lumen LED

Getting there, actually there now if you an array.

Article....

Osram page....

Osram has developed a small light-emitting diode spotlight that achieves an output of more than 1,000 lumens for the first time. That’s brighter than a 50-watt halogen lamp, thereby making the device suitable for a broad range of general lighting applications.
    The Ostar Lighting LED, which will be launched on the market this summer, can provide sufficient light for a desk from a height of two meters, for example. Its small size also enables the creation of completely new lamp shapes.

A lumen (lm) is the unit of measurement for the amount of light emitted by a light source. A 60-watt light bulb emits 730 lm, while a 50-watt halogen lamp has an output of approximately 900 lm. To achieve the 1,000 lm output for the tiny Ostar Lighting LED, the experts at Siemens’ Osram subsidiary employed a sophisticated system for high chip-packing density, whereby the researchers managed to integrate six high-performance LED lighting chips into the unit’s small housing. Each chip has an area of only one square millimeter, which makes for very concentrated overall luminosity.

Different types of LEDs are used today in various areas, for example as background lighting in cell phone displays, as well as in car turn-signal lights, brake lights, and daytime running lights. The benefits are obvious: The diodes are extremely small and consume little energy because they efficiently convert electricity into light. The Ostar Lighting LED, for example, produces 75 lumens per watt at 350 milli-amperes of operating current — much more than an incandescent lamp, which only converts a fraction of the electricity supplied into light, with the rest lost as heat energy. In addition, LEDs contain no lead or mercury, which makes them very environmentally friendly. They also last around ten times longer than halogen lamps and 50 times longer than incandescent lamps, thereby helping to significantly reduce maintenance costs.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 March 2007, 07:25.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

In addition, LEDs contain no lead or mercury, which makes them very environmentally friendly.
    They do contain arsenic, though, very environmentally friendly, NOT!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

then let us just light a candle.

oh no, more co2...

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Rofl!!

Comment

we have some samples of the osram LED's here, not the brand new one with 6 in one package, but still, they are bright to the point where you cannot even look at them

and even if they contain arsenic, their long lifetime should make replacing them in residential lighting more environmently friendly.. not to mention street lighting with such
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
            They do contain arsenic, though, very environmentally friendly, NOT!
            remind me not to eat any more LED's.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

First; Gallium Arsenide junctions are very small so the absolute amount of Arsenic isn't much.

Second; it's a pretty stable crystal. Even if you ate a bare LED junction the amount of Arsenic absorbed wouldn't be toxic. No more so than the vegetables in some locales and fish in others.

Arsenic is literally everywhere; the air you breathe, the water you drink and the dirt in your back yard.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 March 2007, 11:38.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have two 250w metal halide lights for my marine tank. There is a US based company that are now using LED arrays. It is still too expensive though...
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I won't be impressed until they can replace the 4000 watt xenon short-arc lamps in the projectors here at work:

Comment

The LEDs efficiency is still below flourescent.

Comment

Singly, yes...but LED's are easily usable in arrays. This new one itself is an array of 6 junctions and there's no reason why several couldn't be placed on a spherical mount inside a "bulb" for use in conventional fixtures.

Sooner than later you'll have the choice of them or fluorescents as filament bulbs are on the way to being regulated out of existence save for specific uses.

Australia is furthest along but similar regulations are working their way through the California legislature as well. If California does it other states will probably follow. The resulting demand will spur further product development starting the commoditization of LED and other alternative lighting systems.

Oz Article....
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 March 2007, 14:51.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                        Singly, yes...but LED's are easily usable in arrays.
                        Which won't do anything for their efficiency. Efficiency will improve as development continues, of course, and LEDs are still a relatively young technology.

I'm still waiting for thin, flat, flexible, cheap, easy to use, dimmable white light sources (like EL sheets, only cheaper, brighter, white in both states).

Also, electronic ballasts for fluorescent tubes should really drop in price.
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                          LEDs are still a relatively young technology.
                          Not really! The technology was discovered exactly 100 years ago by Henry J. Round. Granted, the efficiency of his silicon carbide LEDs was painfully poor. The paradox is that his first LEDs were blue, which defied GaAs versions until comparatively recently. Round also produced orange and yellow ones, as well. The next development was by Oleg Losev in 1922, who reproduced Round's work and deduced the scientific explanation of how they worked, correlating the short wavelength cut-off energy with the applied voltage, illustrating the quantum effect as the inverse of Einstein's photoelectric effect.
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

OK, LEDs in practical use are relatively young. Incandescent isn't, Xenon is about fifty years old and also quite inefficient, complicated and expensive, modern hot cathode fluorescent with electronic ballasts are quite young (but complicated and not really cheap as well), but I wouldn't expect any quantum leaps here anymore.
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Light-Emitting Capacitor Panels....

$60 sq/ft

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 March 2007, 03:20.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X