New Microsoft "HD DVD" Web Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Microsoft "HD DVD" Web Portal

Stay up to date on the latest and greatest in technology and gadgets. Read news, reviews, and helpful tips for the latest products and services. Get the best out of your tech and gadgets with our informative content.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

So what we really want is the Blu Ray Media capacity with HD-DVD technology software and codec wise?

Comment

we already have that: BD can use the same codecs as HD DVD: VC1, H264 and MPEG2.

Apulo
      Apulo

Comment

Well, there's another difference... the language used to develop the menu interactivity.

"HD DVD" uses "HDi," which is an XML-based interactivity specification.

"Blu-ray Disc" uses "BD-J," which is a Java-based interactivity specification.

The supporters of the "HDi" specification claim it's cheaper to license than "BD-J."

They also claim it means better integration with the dominant computer operating system (Microsoft Windows).

The "Blu-ray Disc" supporters argue that "BD-J" is more friendly for people who use different operating systems.

Jerry Jones
        I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Bluray can play on "different operating systems"?

Comment

all in all, HD-DVD shipped a better product. they used existing standards instead of developing them, they made sure their tools were available when they released, and they made sure all of their players supported the technology when it shipped.

Sony pushed Blu-Ray out the door as an incomplete product with "optional" features unimplemented in the players. They actually had the same development mentality that they did with the PS3 - set really lofty goals and then have a hard time actually getting a product out the door.

Right now Blu-Ray has two advantages over HD-DVD -

1) capacity. realistically, this doesn't matter as much as one thinks. HD-DVD movies still fit nicely into the 30gb cap it has. the only time it is an issue is when it comes to shipping extras.

2) Sony has made all of their HD movie releases blu-ray exclusive and has been using their connections in the industry with publishing houses to get preferential treatment to their product.

Downside with Blu-Ray initially was the fact that Sony was trying to push out movies out the door and many of them were either 1) not that good of a movie to begin with, or 2) really poorly transferred/encoded.

As a consumer, it actually pisses me off a lot because there is a huge conflict of interest on their part when it comes to releasing movies. Most HD-DVD studios release for both platforms. It just sucks that there are a handful of movies released by Sony/Columbia that I would actually buy but are Blu-Ray only.

re: HDi vs BD-J - from my understanding of the languages behind it, i would rather develop using HDi any day. It is as cross platform compatable as BD-J, and it looks like it was actually developed to be a sane language for what it has to do.

BD-J attempted to create a whole language/platform for it. HDi took XML/JavaScript/CSS/SMIL and a handful of other standards and looks far easier to actually develop using.

anyways, the only thing hurting HD-DVD right now is the fact that they do not have the same level of studio support as Blu Ray. And unfortunately they have not been as bullish as promoting it as Sony...
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost View Post
              And unfortunately they have not been as bullish as promoting it as Sony...
              Don't worry, Jerrold is compensating for that

Apulo
              Apulo

Comment

Throwing in my PC-centric view again:
                Bigger capacity of Bluray is very nice thing...simply because everybody, I guess, will use single layer discs for their data storage (when recordable Bluray/HD-DVD wil replace DVDR). And comparing relative sizes, HD-DVD is smaller step up from DVD than CD->DVD. Bluray also is smaller step up...but at least its much closer.

Comment

Yeah I want Blu-ray to win, purely for capacity reasons. And I think a few studio's might tend toward that for that one simple reason. Piraters can easily fit a HD-dvd onto blu-ray disc, becasue of the capacity. Whereas I would think a Blu-ray mass production disc will can have slightly higher capcity than current blu ray recorders can produce..of course they can recompress and all discs won't use the full size of the disk , but its significantly harder than just dumping a disk if you have capacity to spare.

And the menuing OS or tools is no biggy for me, the more rudimentry the menu system is the more lilkly we can skip past the crap they force legitmate DVD viewers to watch.

Raw capacity wins, menu stuff is worthless, well to me anyway...

Comment

Working...
                  X