Good mid/low range projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good mid/low range projector

Any recommendations for a moderately price projector, at least 1024x768 native resolution but hoping to swing something that can do close 1080p(or close enough).
    Must have component in and computer in eg RGB or preferably DVI

LG have a few DLP models that are nicely priced that do 1400x1050, but they seem a bit cheap, is there a catch?.

Or at least can you recommend any model to avoid.

My brother has a Sanyo DLP (PLV Z2, now discontinued) that takes input up to 720p; and he is quite please with it. The most noticable feature is the fully optical keystone correction (both up/down and left right, to be adjusted manually on the lens though; it also features an additional digital keystone correction).

He did have an issue with the projector sometimes not autodetecting the input; a call to Sanyo revealed that projectors (tech guy said "in general") are sensitive to noise on the powerlines. And lo and behold: moving his subwoofer to a different circuit solved the issue.

Dell has (had?) interesting models in their lineup, which include an ethernet connection for easy configuration/management of the different settings via a web interface.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

cool there is a couple on ebay in Oz for cheap, what the bulb life like?

or maybe I could swing a z5, which has hdmi and component.
      Last edited by Marshmallowman; 15 March 2007, 07:04.

Comment

Dunno about the bulb life (I do know that my brother always uses it in bulb-saving mode: it is slightly less bright, but extends the bulb life). The brightness on his projector isn't superb (when he uses it at home, he always darkens the room, it is a dedicated tv room; but he also uses it as a bilboard: a translucent screen is suspend on his shop-window and the projector projects from behind, and this is doable), but the newer models seem to score much better. Similar for the contrast ratio.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

http://www.projectorcentral.com/ absolutely AWESOME site for everything projector. AWESOME
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Go for a 720p projector, nice price/performance ratio. Native res 1080p projectors are probably out of your price range.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Nice site, the reviews for the PLV Z5 are pretty good, (1280x720)
              I'll probably get one of those, but I will keep looking around for a weeks do before I take the plunge. (got to check replacement bulb prices first)

I will defintely be keeping the viewing room nice and dark, so econmy mode all the way.
              So no need for a super duper high brightness model, I just want decent image good quality.

Comment

I believe Sanyo has a very nice room-configurator on their German site (it is in English):

Click "online lens calculator" on this site.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

I picked up a Benq pb7210 a while back. Very happy with it, but I am kicking myself for not waiting a bit and getting something with 16:9 native.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yeah that is one I have considered, advantage its a bit cheaper and its quite easy to purchase locally.
                    But no hdmi(has component tho) and like you said, 16:9 native is the way to go.
                    I can't seem to find to many Benq 16:9 720p models quite in my price range. and the bulbs seem quite pricey to.

Comment

Man no fair
                      $300 rebate for USA customers only

and the bulbs are quite reasonable as well...

Comment

hmm I am almost tempted by espon emp tw1000(1080p), twice the price of emp tw600(720p) but I could almost swing that...I think I need a cold shower.

The emp tw600 seems quite good, slightly cheaper than the PLV z5, but lacks the auto lens cover and auto cleaning feature thingy.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Dell 2400MP and apparently there is a new Viewsonic PJ588D that NO one is selling yet. Bother under $1200, both take component and are 3000 lumens.
                          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I am really starting to set my sites on wxga projector (1280x720)
                            and hdmi will be nice bonus for the future

The Dell is quite cheap but I read a few bad reviews,

Comment

Working...
                            X